Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,719   Online: 1174

Thread: Slide storage

Shooter
    Medium Format

Slide storage

Looking to archive my slide collection,from the small plastic processing boxes from the developers.I have been advised to store the slides in Logan metal storage boxes,and place a 25gram bag of Silica Gel in the box,and change every few months.

Is this the way to go for long term storage?,if not,any other storage systems worth thinking about also please.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't speak to the Logan boxes, are they air tight? If not, no point in the gel. I have slides stored in a metal slide box, not air tight and they have been fine after 40+ years, including some shot in Vietnam.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not really sure if there airtight or not. Hopefully the Logan boxes don't speak to you also!,lol.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by bishy; 03-17-2011 at 12:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Probably something like a Pelican case with a replaceable gasket is a better choice. Calumet Photographic has a variety of sizes and shapes in its own brand that are much more economical than the major brands.

Since these cases are airtight when closed, the silica gel needs recharging at only about 12-18 month intervals to ensure that the atmosphere inside remains desiccated preventing fungus growth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been storing most of my slides in archival sleeves, which are then located in hanging files, for over 20 years. I keep the slides in my house, which is a climate-controlled environment, with temps ranging from maybe 68F during the winter to 78F during the summer, and with humidity levels always around 50% (I have a digital hygrometer to check for humidity). Some of my slides are still in the paper Kodak boxes, and some are still in plastic boxes -- and have been in those boxes for over 15 years. They're just fine -- I checked them recently. I also have a collection of Kodachrome slides taken by my father when he was stationed in Korea during that conflict, which have been stored in a metal box for as long as I can remember, but they also have always been inside houses with their controlled climates, and they are all in excellent condition. If your house has central air/heat -- or if your live in some place like Southern California -- chances are the humidity levels are quite stable, and there is no real need for silica gel and hermetical sealing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=bishy;1154376]

Hopefully the Logan boxes don't speak to you also!,lol.

QUOTE]

No, but I do hear other voices.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bishy View Post

Maybe you should Ask Chris about that.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=bobwysiwyg;1154430]
    Quote Originally Posted by bishy View Post

QUOTE]

LOL!!

Thank you for the info Cooltouch.I might just save myself a few dollars, and stick with the processing boxes i have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I mostly put mine into the archival sheets so I could organize them for quicker retrieval. I plan to do the same with the slides I have in boxes, but just haven't gotten to them yet. No real hurry.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have slides that go back 50 years, mostly kodachrome, that look almost new. They were stored in metal slide boxes that hold around 100 slides or so. They're not air tight, but they have been kept is closets that are dark. My Ektachrome slides have faded. Too bad they discontinued Kodachrome. I got good colors out of Fuji Sensia, but they discontinued that. I don't know how the slides will hold up to age though.

DaveO

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin