Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,783   Online: 998

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Anyone got an E6 brew?

I am looking for alternatives since the demise of Kodak's much loved 5L E6 kit. The price point of the 5L kit was the best around, it was easy to buy locally, and the consistent, clean, beautiful results spoke for themselves. Over the years I saved $1000's and beat the labs in quality and turnaround.

I know there are other commercial E6 options out there for the home developer with plenty of answers via other threads in this forum, but I'd like to ask if anyone has tried to 'brew' their own E6.

The Watkins Factor (http://www.opie.net/orphy/photo/dr/wkft-e6.html) is the closest brew I have come to that piqued my interest for making my own E6 from raw chemicals. However, the only step that bothers me is the reversal step. Watkins suggests to remove the film from the film drum and literally expose it to light (hard for me to do when using automated processors - Jobo ATL's). I would prefer it to be a chemical fogging procedure as in any commercial E6 kit.

Are there any photo chemists out there that have a solution for this? Is it too complex to achieve? Seems strange since Watkins has a recipe for all other solutions. I guess I can try to get a hold of Mr. Watkins himself.
    David S. Nardi Photography
    'preserving the beauty in nature'
    www.davidnardi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a formula in the BJP Annuals that worked perfectly I used it in the 80's for a short time, I'm not sure if I have the colour sections scanned here, all my post WWII Almanacs & Annuals are in the UK at the moment. Will look later.

One large UK lab Munns brothers used to make up all their own colour chemistry it saved them a fortune.

Ian

Update - PDF would be on it's way with very detailed Formula, instructions etc, need an email address .
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 03-18-2011 at 03:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Watkins Factor recipes are wrong. This is the problem with most color formulas published, they are somewhat approximations that will give almost the same results but not quite.

However, it seems that the more correct (?) E6 formulas are posted here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/4...kipedia-3.html

As you can see they differ in many aspects, not only in the main developing agent that is different .

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    On the Largeformat photography forum, people are trying to get a bulk order from Fuji. Check there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Could that PDF with the formulas be made generally available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been doing a little research as well. Sounds like CD3 isn't that easy to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by minesix66 View Post
    On the Largeformat photography forum, people are trying to get a bulk order from Fuji. Check there.
    or here
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Not as is on a Public forum.

If I retyped it or OCR'ed it yes (it's not very easy to OCR) and gave full citations to the original, but the publication is still in copyright. Should add it's very detailed, not like the ersatz versions, has the reversal baths, conditioning baths etc, correct chemicals, with alternative 1st dev and Bleach.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    >Sounds like CD3 isn't that easy to come by.

About 4-5 years ago I bought a pound of CD-3 from Artcraft for about $75, I recall, when they were in a small town outside of Albany NY USA, or nearby. I am not sure if they have moved.

The stuff was posted to me, and about three weeks later a second package arrived with a second pound and a note that the first shipment may have been a bit old so he shipped me some fresh stuff. No charge for the second shipment requested.

I still have a bunch of each batch; I use the old' for DIY print developers, and the 'newer' for E-6 experiments.

Contact me if anyone wants a small sample of say 15 -25g to experiment with before committing to buying a larger batch. I likely have the rest of the DIY chemistry.

Dave Nardi:

I am short of time to fully experiment, and have a good stock of viable Kodak 6 step e-6 at the moment to keep me going for the short term.

Get in touch if you need supplies to fiddle with.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    They were all in the thread I gave URL to . Apparently they are copied from the article in question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    They were all in the thread I gave URL to . Apparently they are copied from the article in question.
    Saves someone retyping

Perhaps someone should put them all together in the articles section.

The pages of text and particularly the first section on the chemicals used for colour processing are rather important. From memory a German photo-chemist was behind the colour formulae published in the BJP.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin