Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,928   Online: 1109

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mr. Hardy-Vallee, The problem with Crystal Archive Type II is that it stinks. It's very low contrast and saturation, it's borderline impossible to get clean whites (for me), and it's very thin and cheaply packaged. I blew $300 on it and the only thing I can think of using it for is lining bird cages (and converting color photographers to digital). Don't waste your time with it; buy rolls and cut them down.

Larry, Colorado

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got my Kodak 10L dev and blix RA-4 chems today but I don't have any paper yet! Hmm, wonder if I can get some off the photo lab... otherwise I'll have to wait until next week. Henrys didn't come through, looks like I'll have to order some Fuji Crystal Archive II and Kodak Ektacolor from B&H as my Endura from Cali won't be here for a few weeks at the speed of the USPS...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Slightly off topic, but I just printed and processed a print and it came out plain white. What might have caused this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I just printed and processed a print and it came out plain white. What might have caused this?
    I am guessing the developer is exhausted. I ran one more print through and the same thing.....made fresh chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either you don't expose your paper or you have something else than developer, or it is very badly exhausted. It does not happen suddenly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Either you don't expose your paper or you have something else than developer, or it is very badly exhausted. It does not happen suddenly.
    It'd been three weeks since I used it and I mixed it in January. Thanks for the info. I mixed new chemistry last night after a second print test and will print tonight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    It'd been three weeks since I used it and I mixed it in January. Thanks for the info. I mixed new chemistry last night after a second print test and will print tonight.
    I really doubt that would be the problem. I have used RA-4 developer more than a year old, left occasionally in trays for more than 24 hours and used for many many prints all the way. It just does not go bad that easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    I really doubt that would be the problem. I have used RA-4 developer more than a year old, left occasionally in trays for more than 24 hours and used for many many prints all the way. It just does not go bad that easily.
    It is 500ml that I've used 5 times (about 35-40 prints). I was mainly reusing to test the chemistry's limits and also to get better acquainted with RA4 printing. I was trying to test a couple of prints before I made new stock for final processing as I was changing from 8x10 to 5x7 and wanted to make sure that my filtration and exposure times were going to be the same. That was really the only change, and I don't think the exposure time would have been that much different from the 8x10 exposure, but I could be wrong. I'll try the new chemistry later today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was definitely the chemistry. My sister is here, and so I was showing her the process for paper with the fresh chemistry. Worked like a charm. Same filtration and same time as my 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice everyone! This is fun, I'm so pleased to be making real enlarged color prints again.

So far I've just tried the expired 8x10" 2009 Endura paper as I wasn't sure about cutting down the 575' roll in the dark just yet. Love the results though I'll be tweaking things for some time I'm sure.

Farm RA-4 print (pe) by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Garden RA-4 print (pe) by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Haybales RA-4 print (pe) by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

Halle RA-4 print (pec) by Harry Pulley, on Flickr
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin