Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,173   Online: 1015

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, most of what I printed last night was expired film developed in past capacity Tetenal, printed on expired paper so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't standard filter pack.

I got my long roll for under $30 so again, no complaints.

Daylight viewing station? I wonder if I could replace my flourecent tubes with something that would give me daylight balance? Must be, I'll check the store.

How long do you develop at 65F? In the dead of winter that's the temp I'll be at in the basement at night unless I bump up the thermostat.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can one really trust daylight fluorescents to be truly daylight balanced? I thought they had band gaps that will prevent getting a good determination if you have colors that fall in the gaps.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 04-09-2011 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak recommends using Cool White Deluxe fluorescent bulbs. Specifically they say a bulb that has a temperature of 5000K ±1000, color rendering index of 85-100, an and illuminance of at least 538 lux. If you want a mixed lighting condition, add a frosted 75 watt tungsten bulb for every pair of fluorescent bulbs. If you have an incident meter then you can use the EV function to measure the lux, or a reflectance meter and gray card as described in this Kodak publication.

Of course, there are some very expensive light bulbs specifically for judging color prints. They are nice, but pricey.
    Attached Files
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Daylight viewing station? I wonder if I could replace my flourecent tubes with something that would give me daylight balance? Must be, I'll check the store.
    No!!!

View the prints under the same kind of conditions where you are going to view the final prints. It is the only way.

"Daylight" fluorescent tubes ONLY if you are going to view the prints under "daylight" fluorescents, or daylight.

Normal room lighting is usually the best bet, IMO, or a combination of different lights (warm fluorescent, daylight fluorescent, incandescent) to give you an overall "touch" what the print looks like in different lights.

If your darkroom is painted in dark colors and use a spotlight to evaluate the prints, you probably tend to make the prints too dark as you see the prints very clearly against the dark background. But when you view then in a light environment, they look too dark.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin