Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C-41 at home is easy. For some reason people poo-poo the blix kits which have everything you need in one box for small batches of film. Tetenal/Unicolor/Jobo color kits are as easy as B&W and are what I use. No searching around for starters and replenishers, buying and storing huge quantities of chemicals, just 1L/2L kits to do tens of rolls of film for under $1/roll. Just a satisfied customer...

Now, would I like it if Fuji and Kodak sold "all included" 1L/2L kits with separate bleach and fix? Sure but they don't so for convenience and ease of use, I suggest the all-in-a-box kits.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hooray for small blix kits like Tetenal, because they are easily available to buy!

But, boo for them, because they COULD as well make them real bleach-fix kits, and still make them as easily available! That's just stupid.

I started with Tetenal blix kits and they worked just fine, so, don't be afraid of them if the another option is to not shoot as much film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but what's wrong with the blix in general? (question #2,045)
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Sorry, but what's wrong with the blix in general? (question #2,045)
    The fact that it cannot be guaranteed to remove all silver and halides with every film in every case. This may cause increased graininess, increased density and subdued colors. This is a summary of the discussions, the bottom line being that Kodak has studied the film blixes but decided not to use them. Use the search function to find more... PE has written most of the posts about this subject. This was discussed more frequently a few years ago.

However, in most cases, blixes seem to work well enough, or even perfectly, and if nothing else is available, why not use them. This is a typical example of differences between "99%" and "100%".

It's just funny; separate bleach and fix are easier to design, keep better, are the standard process, and are guaranteed to work. Some small manufacturers apparently try to act wiser than they actually are, and try to show off with skills they do not actually have, designing "revolutionary" products that are not that revolutionary, just problematic. The catastrophic design of Tetenal's "mono-concentrates" (RA-4) is a good example of this. This "innovation" is luckily not used in their C-41 or E-6 chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, thanks hrst.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    C-41 at home is ...
    Now, would I like it if Fuji and Kodak sold "all included" 1L/2L kits with separate bleach and fix? Sure but they don't so for convenience and ease of use, I suggest the all-in-a-box kits.
    Photographers Formulary does sell 1L Kodak kits. Hopefully 2 and/or 5L kits aren't far behind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting -- I'll have to see if they ship to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex ninja View Post
    Photographers Formulary does sell 1L Kodak kits. Hopefully 2 and/or 5L kits aren't far behind.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The listing on Photographers Formulary's site is hard to find - it is under "Developers - Holography" and is mis-described as a developer kit, rather than a complete kit.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The listing on Photographers Formulary's site is hard to find - it is under "Developers - Holography" and is mis-described as a developer kit, rather than a complete kit.
    Photoformulary's systematic mismanagement of their search functions is so frustrating... they're only shooting themselves in the foot!

There are misspellings, mis-categorizations, and worst of all very rigid search terms. For instance, if I'm looking for GP-2, typing "GP2" will return no results. Same thing for sulfite & sulphite, though they may have fixed this upon my request.

Sigh...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It is also nearly $30 for one liter, plus shipping, which is ridiculous for the number or rolls you get out of it. One shot use gives you four rolls, so over $8 per roll. Go through the chems twice and you take it down to over $4. You have to go through the chemicals four times just to get the cost down to a bit over $2 per roll. And then you have bleach that is still good for 8x as many rolls as the developer used one shot, but they don't sell separate developer. This means that you have to buy the whole kit again, which includes bleach – by far the most expensive chemical used in the process – that you don't need until you go through another 7 batches of developer one shot. At that price, you might as well just use a lab and enjoy the extra time and darkroom space you get by doing so.

A few years ago, before Kodak discontinued their 1 gallon C-41 materials, I used to spend $70 for enough chemistry to equal two one gallon kits, or about 7.5 L. I bought two developers, two fixes, two Final Rinses and one bleach. I would get 60 rolls at the very least out of the two gallons, going through the chemistry only twice, ad then get even more by cross processing or developing less critical negs on the third time through the developer. (You can go through it up to four times, or replenish.) On top of that, I could do it with a six mile round trip and support a local business. So, my cost was around $1 per roll going through the chemistry only twice, plus random extras. Compare that to the $4 per roll cost of using the PF/Rollei kits twice through; they are nearly four times as expensive per roll as the 1 gallon kit, which was already more expensive than the bulk chemicals at the time. Buying the bulk chemicals probably takes it down to 50 cents a roll, though that is only from memory; I'd have to do all the numbers again to know for sure. Is it really going a good idea to pay PF or Rollei 8x as much just for decanting and labeling chemicals that can be bought directly by the home user?

I really think it is in our best interests to buy the bulk chemicals. I was excited to hear about the Rollei and Photographer's Formulary kits, but they are priced far beyond reason.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-12-2011 at 09:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin