Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,900   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

C-41 Thread #14,398

Ok. I've been reading various threads here and on other sites for about the past six hours. While I believe it should be simple, my head is hurting.

I only want to do c-41 at home for 4x5 & 8x10 negatives. I currently send to Samy's and am happy with the price and service. However, waiting to build up enough exposed film to send out can sometimes take me a month or more, and then another week and a half round trip for the processing.

I just want to know if the following idea is viable. I didn't seem to come across a mention of it while I was swallowing information today.

I'm looking at the big Arista liquid kit at Freestyle. http://freestylephoto.biz/20414-Aris...on?cat_id=1001

The data sheet shows that 8oz of working solution will yield 8 sheets of 4x5. For absolute simplicity sake, could I just whip up small batches of chemistry for what I need on a given day, dump it all at the end and expect the concentrate source to last for a reasonably long time?

I did notice this comment about doing pretty much the same thing with Kodak chemistry. Once I tried to track down the separate parts was when my head started getting muddles. I'm hoping using the Arista chemistry would work, and just require a single item order.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Arista chemistry uses a blix, so I wouldn't use it as long as there are other options. For small batches, the Rollei stuff comes in tiny kits, but it is expensive. I'd do the homework required to use Kodak chemicals. I haven't exactly figured it out myself since the demise of the 1 gal. kit, but it can definitely be done, and for quite cheaply.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I'd do the homework required to use Kodak chemicals. I haven't exactly figured it out myself since the demise of the 1 gal. kit, but it can definitely be done, and for quite cheaply.
    Am I correct in assuming that for the bleach & developer where there is a Starter & Replenisher, that all that would be needed for a home one shot environment would be the Starter? I'm not tending to see anything labeled just plain old "Developer"
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Replenisher is just developer without the starter added.
    So you get replenisher & starter, use the starter whenever you make a fresh litre or whatever size working solution you decise to make.

I make 1 Liter and replenish for small reels & tanks and it works for me.

For the bleach I have some off brand replenisher and was told here starter is not needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The info is out there, I've posted it before myself, on what to buy/use for the kodak C-41 chems. the Kodak stuff is WAY cheaper per roll, and better quality, I think.

Dev needs starter, bleach and fix don't need starter.
    Bleach is expensive and expensive to ship, but can be re-used multiple times.
    I use fix and dev one-shot, because I can, and because it's fairly cheap to do so.
    final rinse is dirt cheap, also use that one shot.

I usually buy the 5-gal quantities of stuff, and mix 5L at a time, which will do 48 rolls of 35mm or 120, one-shot, in my processor. It would also probably do at least 48 sheets of 4x5 film, if not more.

-Ed

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm about to order some Kodak Flexicolor SM chemicals, and I notice in the publication CIS-211 that they do not list a starter for the developer. Anyone know if it's not needed? When I call Kodak I only get a voice mail for this department.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Still trying to figure out this Kodak situation. Whoever left the comment in one of the threads saying that starting a meth lab has better information seems about right.

I feel I should just keep with Samy's and let them deal with the chemistry while making use of the time that I won't be mixing and hovering over a processing tube.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dont use the SM stuff but Color developer is the only thing I use a starter for.

It's crazy how far a 5 gallon developer kit will go if you replenish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    Whoever left the comment in one of the threads saying that starting a meth lab has better information seems about right.
    That was me; and I still stand by that statement.

(Not that I know anything about making meth, but if a guy with six teeth can do it I know it can't be that hard.)
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Kodak (or Fuji for that matter) wanted to get people started on C-41 at home, much like Ilford can get people started doing b&w at home, I'd probably be doing it, you'd probably be doing it, hell, your mother would probably be doing it.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin