Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,291   Online: 898

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used to do this in the '80s with help. Just getting back into it now (and by myself), hope I didn't pick the wrong time! Should I buy all the Endura I can afford??? From labs all I've received for years and years is Fuji Crystal Archive. IIRC I used to get Kodak Royal paper at labs before they went to Kodak Royal Digital paper.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is nothing wrong with the current "plain" Fuji Crystal Archive. It is optimized for both digital and optical exposure and is still available. Of course, if you prefer Kodak Supra Endura, stock it while you can.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Used to do this in the '80s with help. Just getting back into it now (and by myself), hope I didn't pick the wrong time! Should I buy all the Endura I can afford??? From labs all I've received for years and years is Fuji Crystal Archive. IIRC I used to get Kodak Royal paper at labs before they went to Kodak Royal Digital paper.
    Probably not a good idea seeing as how most of what's still out there has already expired. FYI - the last production run has a exp. date of 5/2011. If you can find it (good luck) and freeze it you're good for the next year and change.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Conclusion: "Digital" paper might be usable with genres where color fidelity in all colors is not necessary, like (mostly) monochrome sceneries, some product photos, or experimental work. But for anything with a palette of "natural" colors, they are useless.
    In my experience, many amateurs have extremly low standards when it comes to judging own prints (it's like "my child"). This might be where the positive opinions on the web are deriving from.
    For me, when "analog" papers are gone, the traditional color darkroom will be history.

Georg[/QUOTE]

Even the old supra endura from ten years ago (as well as portra endura and ultra endura) was designed for digital exposure. I imagine that one of the design constraints was to make that paper compatible w/ optical enlargements as there were labs that had not switched over the laser light exposure.

Color printers will recall how the emulsion in the endura line underwent several changes in the years before VC. With every new emulsion color balance for neutral became increasingly difficult to obtain. Most vexing was the way these papers rendered blues - a much narrower palette of blues compared to the non-endura line of papers.

Of course the most recent wave of c-paper (Supra VC et al) was not at all designed for optical enlargement but, as many here have discovered for themselves and despite your proclamation that the color drkrm. is history, it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way back in the 60s and 70s, when we had a problem with cyan fog or a soft cyan toe, we had a solution. It would only work one-shot and had to be tailored for the number of sheets processed in 1 batch of 1 shot developer. But, we had something that worked and gave us usable results from otherwise useless paper.

If anyone is interested, here it is:

Dissolve PMT (Available as a solution from the Formulary and from Sigma Aldrich - full chemical name on request in this thread). Add 1 mg - 10 mg / of PMT per liter of developer. Determine that level that works for you. Use developer as a one-shot as the PMT is used up with the first and only use. So, if you do 1 sheet in 100 ml and it needs 1 mg/L of PMT, then 2 sheets would probably need 2 mg/L in the same quantity of developer and etc. This method is NOT guaranteed to work because the emulsions have changed drastically over the years, BUT, if it does, this can make the "digital" paper usable as if it were the old paper. It works simply because the PMT acts on the top (cyan) layer to lower fog and sharpnen the toe.

There is also a fix for a pink (magenta) toe, but I see no complaints of that here.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's interesting. PM me the name of the chemical so I can put it in my files. I am going to try some contact sheets of 8x10 film soon using drum processing, so I can easily add it to each measure of developer I use. I'll let you know if it works after I have tried it out.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

I will as soon as I can find it. I always think of it as PMT or Phenyl Mercapto Tetrazole, but the IUPAC name is about 3/4 of a mille long. I can never remember it. I have to look it up every time.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Is the IUPAC name the one I would be looking for on the Formulary's site?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

It is listed as PMT in the "old" catalog, but is not in the new one. Ask Sherry by phone or e-mail. I know they have it as I made a batch there. They have both solution and powder on the shelf.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin