Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,530   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji Velvia 100F

Hi,

Please may i ask your views on this film. On searching through the forum,seems this film has divided opinion throughout the years.

Looking for a vivid film,for portraits in outdoor landscape settings. I understand Velvia 50 and 100, may not be the right choice for this. I have read about the sunburnt face look. My thinking is Velvia 100F could be more suitable,to gain the extra saturation and contrast,over a more neutral balanced film.

Cheers.
    Last edited by bishy; 03-26-2011 at 09:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've just started using Velvia 100F and I am liking it for landscapes, but have not tried it for outdoor portraits. I've used Velvia 50 for outdoor portraits and haven't like the look. If I were going to do portraits in the landscape I would use something like Provia 100F

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Slightly underexposed Provia is great for outdoor landscape and portraits. It is more neutral, but you can pull quite a bit of color out of the foliage without making people look rosy. If you're scanning, Provia is slightly better than Velvia anyhow.

Just my $.02
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have really tried to like Provia 100F,but the cyan cast/look in general, has put me off from shooting Provia.

Another option i thought,if Velvia 100F proves not to be suitable for this purpose,could be Kodak Elitechrome 100?.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just give it a go and see if you like the results or not

I've used velvia 50 and velvia 100 for outdoor portraits and it gives you quite a special look, so it is not about it being suitable or not, is it about you liking the results....

the character of the film will give you a high contrast, so keep an eye on those highlights....

If you want smooth, pale, low contrast, dreamlike images, VELVIA is NOT the best option!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cs_foto View Post
    Just give it a go and see if you like the results or not

I've used velvia 50 and velvia 100 for outdoor portraits and it gives you quite a special look, so it is not about it being suitable or not, is it about you liking the results....

the character of the film will give you a high contrast, so keep an eye on those highlights....

If you want smooth, pale, low contrast, dreamlike images, VELVIA is NOT the best option!
    I am not after smooth,pale,low contrast,dreamlike images. Just saturated portraits shots, in landscape settings.

Thank you for the info everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 100F is less saturated and cooler in color balance than Velvia 100...which actually means it looks pretty neutral, since Velvia 50 and 100 are a tad warm. It is somewhere in between Provia and Velvia 100 in terms of saturation, and has a color balance similar to Provia (i.e. very neutral, while Velvia 50 and 100 are a bit warm).

Either one could be suitable for your shots, depending on what you want. I would try a roll of each on the same subject and see what you see!

But 100F is definitely the least "poppy" Velvia there is, so of the three, it has the characteristics best suited to your run-of-the-mill portrait. It's drawback for your run-of-the-mill portrait, however, is its more neutral color balance, while a slightly warm look is often desired. So, if you want the lower saturation and contrast of the 100F vs. the other two Velvias, but want it to have more warmth, try shooting the 100F with a mild warming filter.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It depends on your lens also , the correctness of your camera meter , scanner , software and the paper.
    I am really does not know too much things about bw or color zone system but it would not be loss of time.
    Provia is excellent with software retouches , I think my Fuji experience is not very good.
    If you look after 80s National Geographic look , go for Ektachrome 100 vs. I wouldnt spend on Fuji when there is Kodak.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like kodak elite chrome 100 great colors for people and landscape. Not over saturated and natural skin tones, and still relatively cheap.

Nik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bishy View Post
    I am not after smooth,pale,low contrast,dreamlike images. Just saturated portraits shots, in landscape settings.

Thank you for the info everyone.
    Then Velvia is a good one to try!

Look in here, in the home page you will see a portrait done using Velvia 50

Velvia 50 portrait

The scan looks slightly less saturated and is not as rich as the original transparency.. but what can we do....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin