Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,172   Online: 873

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Problems developing 4x5 in a Jobo Expert 3006

Hey guys,

I've recently acquired a Jobo CPP-2 (thanks Shadowtracker!) and a Jobo Expert 3006 tank. I have no previous experience with colour development, but after reading hundreds of threads on how 'easy' it is, I decided to do it at home. I was also advised that the Jobo Expert series is the best way to go with due to it's ease of use and constant even development. Well, after running a couple of sheets through, I find myself really frustrated. I am getting uneven development in the center of some sheets during each run. At first it happened in all 4 sheets I put through. I then did some reading and found out about the importance of leveling the drum before processing and it all made sense, how the part closest to the bottom of the tank didn't the same amount of chemicals. I ran 2 sheets making sure it was leveled and they came out perfect. After that, I ran two sets of 6 sheets each, getting mixed results in both batches. Some come out great, some with the center not properly developed. In some it's more apparent, some are more subtle and some are perfect. I am posting a few quick scans, all sheets are from the same tank, same run. Has this ever happened to anyone? Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you all in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test01.jpg   test02.jpg   test03.jpg   test04.jpg   test05.jpg  

test06.jpg  
    Last edited by eriver; 03-27-2011 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Are you sure you put in enough liquid?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, if "leveling the drum" made such a difference, then the first thing I'd doubt is lack of chemicals. I process on my kitchen counter and never bother to check level (and I know for a fact that my old kitchen counter ain't level), and I've never had this problem with a CPP2 and an expert drum.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wait, that's the CPP2 I wanted to get from Shadowtracker!! :LOL: Mine is problematic and I wanted a better one with better motors... enjoy it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry for the snatch rawhead, i am afraid it might be the one! i'm trying to enjoy it, but ugh, me and the processor haven't made friends quiet yet. well, as far chemicals go, i've been putting a little more than the 'minimum' quantity listed on the tank label, which is 210ml. i just followed all the jobo guidelines and it said that that should be enough. i guess i'll try a run with more chemicals tomorrow. it is very strange because the edges of the film is always developed, and there's a weird patch in the center that is not. how much chemicals do you guys use on this tank (jobo expert 3006)?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    210ml is the absolute minimum quantity, but you have to add 33ml per extra sheet of film.

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...pert_drums.htm

[EDIT]

Oops, I don't know what I'm saying, if it's less than 6-7 sheets, then 210ml should be fine. If you do 10 sheets, you want 330ml. My bad.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    210 mL should be fine, especially if it's been leveled. Have you eliminated other possibilities such as fog or light leaks? You may want to run a black-and-white process to see if you get the same results. That would possibly eliminate the possibility that it is your color film or chemicals specifically. If you run a process with exposed photo paper and print chemicals, it would tell you if it is light leaks from your film holders.
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 03-27-2011 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, if it's not the tank/chemicals, I'd next doubt the camera/film holder/ etc.

Last year, I was getting weird fogging on my 4x5 infrared shots and I was like "damn, it's that stupid developing tank (back then I didn't have the expert drum yet) again!". After a while, with help from ppl I figured out that there was a slight light leak from my lens board that wouldn't show up in film exposed under normal conditions, but did show up with IR shots which were, at the same time, long exposure shots (>1s).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i've been using the same holders for quite a while and never really had leak/fog problems. it's also strange the marks are towards the top of the holders (bottom of the neg), which is quite strange for a leak. i'll try to borrow some holders from friends just to rule it out anyhow.

also, i've been using the rotation setting in between 4 and P, which is a little faster than recommended.
    Last edited by eriver; 03-28-2011 at 03:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks DEFINITELY like a light leak! Test4 is very clear, there is even that distinct, straight edge shadow on the left, which would also mean the light leak happens probably in the camera/holders, not in the Jobo tank.

It would be a very peculiar chemical error. Look, you have no part of image underdeveloped, instead you have a HUGE density increase, and they are not higher in contrast. Overdevelopment would cause that, and further, you would need a huge overdevelopment at those parts. And, overdevelopment does not give even density to shadows and highlights, like you have in the snow vs. forest parts.

Also the fact that the problem seems to happen outdoors points towards a light leak.

The light is coming from the emulsion side of the film as you can see from the neutral color. I would suspect the dark slide etc.

It's definitely a light leak - sorry. Your Jobo and process is fine.
    Last edited by hrst; 03-28-2011 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin