Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,656   Online: 1004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film processing by Bay Photo

Just got the sad news that Bay Photo is no longer processing film. Guess this will force me to start souping my own...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a shame for you. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Same thing happened to me, except it ws my favorite processing shop not the only one in town. The way it happened was almost comical. Processing went from overnight to one-week with no notice at all. Then it went from one-week to "whenver we get enough film to run a batch." It got to the point where the owner offered to drop off the film at my house whenver it got processed/proofed. I didn't know that he was a neighbor of mine... he lives only a few blocks away. He would often comment that I should "come to my senses" and go digital... like everyone else; if so he could give me the same fine service he once did. I had to stop going to him when it started taking more than 3 weeks to get film developed. That was several years ago but he has never removed the "film services" menu from his web site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Our local lab stopped processing too. I did however, talk them into giving me the unopened cubes of Fuji E-6 chemicals for $50 a cube! They even offered me their E-6 Machine, but I don't do enough quantity to even thing of needing anything that big.

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    It's always sad when a local lab either stops c-41 processing or closes down, but it all has to do with volumn. If there is not enough film being processed then it's not worth their while. C-41 machines need a certain through-put to keep the chemistry balanced, that volumn depends on the machine.

I know of one lab that bought a batch of out of date film just so the could keep volumn up on the processor. Sadly it didn't last and they too stoped c-41.

One other point I have noticed is that a lot of labs that do or did film processing never advertised or pushed it enough. They only try to push it in the dying days and by that stage it's too late.

I have my own shop/minilab and have tried a few different promotions to encourage film processing. My most sucessfull to date was a huge poster in the window(wild west style), WANTED YOUR FILMS, we still process films. It doubled the film input over the following 2 weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found another lab, North Coast Photographic Services, for my processing. But, I really want to take a crack at doing it myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin