Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,120   Online: 790

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pushing Superia 400

Yesterday I noticed that a roll of Fuji Superia 400 had been shot with the ASA set at 800. I have a decent photo lab in town who will work with me on development times for pushing, but I've never underexposed anything this much before. Does anyone have any experience pushing this stuff that far? That is what I get for changing a roll in the dark, and having to set my ASA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

That is not much of a push. The film should look just fine in the end.

I would just tell them to add about 20 percent to their normal time. It is not exact, but it need not be exact to work.

The exception would be if you shot contrasty light/compositions (i.e. in bright sun with plenty of healthy shadows). Then I might just develop the film normally to keep from increasing the contrast even more.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Not realising that I had the ASA set wrong I shot some of the frames -2 because of the light situation. It would have been spot on for 400. According to my notes that is about 1/3 of the roll. I'm wondering if that much underexposure will make a difference. The shots I really need are those at -2. I've not had a lot of experience with Fuji films. I do know that they seem to lean a lot more green than Kodak. At least this stuff does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -1 or -2 isn't that bad really. It can be processed normally or with a push. A push will change the contrast and highlights. What sort of light were you shooting in? Were there highlights? If so, they may block up. If the light was fairly flat then a push may increase the contrast in a helpful way.
    Last edited by hpulley; 04-03-2011 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You likely risk more asking for a push than just processing normally, results-wise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. I'll be dropping it at the lab tomorrow. No push. I'm sort of curious to see how it goes.
    Sunny 16 works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrenceu View Post
    Thanks everyone. I'll be dropping it at the lab tomorrow. No push. I'm sort of curious to see how it goes.
    It will go OK. But if you're curious about pushing and what it does, sacrifice a frame and have half the roll pushed and the other half done normally.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin