Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,935   Online: 949

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Contact printing colour papers

Hello,
    I'm wondering if anyone knows the outcome of printing slides to RA-4, then contact printing the negative images back to positives?

Cheers,
    Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You get "Fuji Crystal Archive" across the pictures?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Do they have that written on the back of them?

Are there any colour papers for contact printing?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well most Ra4 paper is opaque of course-- Are you thinking about contact printing onto duratrans or something? It might work, but it would be a royal pain and technical quality would not be that great. Unless you have some sort of particular aesthetic in mind I think a trip to the d*****L dark side and printing scans on Ra-4 via lightjet would be the best way to go, unless you want to make Ilfochromes, or have them made.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I shudder at the thought of anything digital.

So JPberger, you say most papers are opaque, what are the ones that aren't!

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    If you're serious about printing your slides Ilfochrome is really the only way to go. Creating positive prints in the way you describe will yield, as they say, "less than optimal results." The negative image will have very high contrast, and the positive image will more than likely have poor tone and color. If you must RA4 paper, you will need to create internegatives from your slides and then make prints from them.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    If you're serious about printing your slides Ilfochrome is really the only way to go. Creating positive prints in the way you describe will yield, as they say, "less than optimal results." The negative image will have very high contrast, and the positive image will more than likely have poor tone and color. If you must RA4 paper, you will need to create internegatives from your slides and then make prints from them.
    Cheers.
    I suppose I will have to use negative films which isn't a bad thing really.
    I just really like slides

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to experiment, you could try reversal RA-4:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/6...nt-thread.html
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Cheers.
    I suppose I will have to use negative films which isn't a bad thing really.
    I just really like slides
    Ilfochrome is easy (if you don't get into contrast masking - depends on your originals) and the results are great.* It's just rather absurdly expensive these days. If you like shooting slides and can handle the price of Ilfochrome, go for it.

*Assuming it's still the same or better stuff than what I printed in the 90s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's expensive at around $100 for 2 L of home-use chemistry, plus the cost of paper. But if you want that look (and it is a very specific look), there is nothing like it. It is also nearly impossible to get best results all the time without masking. As long as your masks are simple contrast adjustment masks, it is not too hard, though. Definitely nothing worth giving up on the process over. I haven't printed Ilfochrome for several years, but I want to get back to it soon. I took the class at Santa Monica Collge, and did it for a while at home after that, but I dropped it when I stopped shooting so much 4x5 in studio, which is where I made my largest use of transparency film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin