Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,246   Online: 815

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Portra 400

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    the first 5 are all shot at 1600 and processed normally. the last 2 were 3200 pushed 1 stop I think. The only editing was bringing the blacks up a bit. not much though.

Hi, nice pictures.

Just to avoid any confusion on my party can you confirm your process when measuring exposure. From the various posts on this thread I am imaging the following process: set ISO on light meter to 1600 (using your first 5 pics as an example) without EV compensation; take incident or spot meter; set aperture and shutter speed.

Am I understanding this correctly? TIA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    So, in a nutshell, what's the biggest difference between 400NC and the New 400 ?
    On paper it has NC contrast and VC saturation but with finer grain and better sharpness, and called a true 400 speed.

Doesn't sound like much but in practise it's huge.

Same dynamic range and low contrast with higher saturation is a good feat to pull off. It has incredible local contrast. The sharpness is excellent and so is the grain, I'd have no trouble just using Portra 400 in place of any 100 speed film.

I'd definately push when rating @ 1600. As the negs will be thin, example images don't show you that.

There is also no need to overexpose with this film.

I'd like to see Portra 800 replaced with a larger grain version of Portra 400, at a native 1600 speed, or 3200 even.

Testing Limits:
    Portra 400 @ 25600 (7 minutes and 30 seconds push time.. I dont think this is the right time though, given the mid tone density, I think it needs double this, but in any case, no point in repeating this curiosity)

New Portra 400 @ 25600 by athiril, on Flickr

@ 1600 with a +2 stop push

OCAU Melb Photowalk Week 2 #6 by athiril, on Flickr

@ 3200 (iirc) with a +2 stop push

OCAU Melb Photowalk #2 4 by athiril, on Flickr
    Last edited by Athiril; 04-10-2011 at 12:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rphenning View Post

There was a strange phenomenon though, something I haven't seen before: On only one of my rolls that I shot at 800-1600 there were huge color shifts. Things that were lit with fluorescent were magenta. It was odd because I have shot portra 400 at 800 and 1600 before without problems.
    If you were taking pictures with shutter speeds faster than 1/60" under fluorescent illumination the reason of the colour shift might be the one explained here:

http://johnbdigital.com/lenses/fluor...t_lighting.php

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Naw I took that into account ^ if I am remembering the right roll, good call though on the color shift because of the flickering

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the first 5 are all shot at 1600 and processed normally. the last 2 were 3200 pushed 1 stop I think. The only editing was bringing the blacks up a bit. not much though.

I'm really looking forward to trying this film at 3200. I'm down to my last four rolls of 400VC which will be finished later this week and then it's all with the new 400.

Given how well this film appears to work I'm curious to see how the new 160 will end up (160VC is one of my favourite films for travel) and also, what exactly is the point of Portra 800?
    500ELX, 80CB
    RB67 SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL, 250KL
    Nikonos V, 35/2.5

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope Kodak update Portra 800 also as it would have great potential at higher speeds, I really hope that sales don't plummet and it gets discontinued now everyone is underexposing / pushing the 400.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Hi, nice pictures.

Just to avoid any confusion on my party can you confirm your process when measuring exposure. From the various posts on this thread I am imaging the following process: set ISO on light meter to 1600 (using your first 5 pics as an example) without EV compensation; take incident or spot meter; set aperture and shutter speed.

Am I understanding this correctly? TIA.
    Yep you are understanding it correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep you are understanding it correctly.
    Ok Thats mean, if i get it right that with a camera that have a lightmeter just over or underexposue with 3 stops. What a latitude!!!!

www.lambisstratoudakis.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to the Local Shop[1] today to buy a 5-pack of 120 for my wedding. Asked if they had the new Portra ("the what? huh? do you want some VC or NC?"). So I figured I'd get some NC, paid my money, got it home... and it's the New Portra 400! Fingers are crossed...

[1] for Local People.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Amazing film! Kodak, you got this one right. Hand processed my 1st roll this week and have been printing and scanning. There is no grain. Beautiful colors! This will be my go to color film.

Last edited by kb3lms; 06-25-2011 at 10:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added picture

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin