Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,900   Online: 934

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Portra 400

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't wish to be rude kb3lms, but those colours are wacky and not representative of the accuracy that Portra can give. In particular, I suspect (assuming you're scanning the negs) you've not set the mask colour correctly in your scan, resulting in red shadows. The whole thing is a bit orange, but the shadows in particular are very red.

Oh, that New Portra 400 I got by accident? It worked exceedingly well.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The grad picture looks light and washed out on my screen, compared to the earlier pics.

RPC

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I don't wish to be rude kb3lms, but those colours are wacky and not representative of the accuracy that Portra can give. In particular, I suspect (assuming you're scanning the negs) you've not set the mask colour correctly in your scan, resulting in red shadows. The whole thing is a bit orange, but the shadows in particular are very red.

Oh, that New Portra 400 I got by accident? It worked exceedingly well.
    Amazing, really.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Agreed, those colors aren't very good and you might be right about the mask. I shoved that through vuescan very quickly and was completely amazed at the lack of grain. Didn't try to make any color correction at all.

I printed the same negative this evening on some Kodak Edge and it looks great! No red in the shadows. Also tried to print on some older Supra Endura and that didn't work so well. But it's some old hand-me-down paper so who knows. The Edge is fairly new and I would imagine that Kodak has set the film up for their current papers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Uncorrected mask should by blueish/cyan, not red, just a rough scan if it prints well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old Supra Endura usually needs extra yellow filtration these days or it comes out very warm.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin