Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,735   Online: 791

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Portra 400

Shooter
    Medium Format

Portra 400

Hi all,

It seems previous threads about the new Portra 400 got somewhat derailed.

I have recently shot my first 120 roll of it, and my first impression is that I am absolutely amazed at the tonal range it captures. I shot a very, very high contrast scene in which I would have expected either washed-out highlights or a total lack of detail in shadows, yet there was plenty of detail in both.

I haven't printed optically from these neg yet (I'm only just getting set up to my first ever RA4 printing this week) but I can't wait to try.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what else I can do with it, but so far the new emulsion has certainly exceeded my expectations.

I look forward to hearing others' experiences of the actual use of this film (rather, really than the politics around it. I have plenty of opinions there but those are perhaps for another discussion), as well as of the new 160, which I have yet to get my hands on.

Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used it a little, no printing though. I think quality for ISO 400 or 800 (which it easily handles) is astounding. Colours are very nice, and it scans very easily. Probably the best all round film around at the moment, and the best new release for a long time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've shot some rolls in 120 and printed them. It has nice colours, I used it to shoot some elderly relatives and it did a very good job of toning down the ruddy complexions and various blemishes people over 90 have. It prints on a different filter pack to both VC and NC, but it was very easy to balance. I'm keen now to try it in 35mm.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only shot 2 rolls of the new 120 Portra 400 of my nieces four year old son, I had a couple of the negs.blown up by my local pro lab to 20"X16" and I'm very impressed the quality and grain structure you can get with this 400 I.S.O.film even at exhibition print size was unheard off a few years ago, and it still has the Portra colour palate and skin tone reproduction we all love.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's my primary medium format color film now. It scans very nicely with just a minimal grain. However, the best thing about this film is when you print it optically. I have 16x20 print of a night shot that has just beautiful aquamarine tones which disappear when you try to scan it. Everybody comments on it when they see it in my office. You owe it to yourself to print it optically - you'll be pleasantly surprised. Great film. End of story.

Shooter
    35mm
    What kind of paper are you using for optical printing?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I may just discover its optical printing properties tonight. I tried to get a scanned image printed at my nearby pro lab in time for a competition tomorrow evening - but first my scan files were too big, then their Frontier machine was down. So much for the speed and efficiency of digital processes!

Well, I've got to make the leap into RA4 some time. Will report the results here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What kind of paper are you using for optical printing?
    Fuji CA type C and Type PD, Supra III, Supra Endura. They all look very good with portra.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do all of mine in the hybrid workflow, but anyway. I love this film. It is my do everything color film. I have shot it from 200 and 3200 with no problems. The 3200 was pushed one stop. I have 2 rolls that I shot a 6400 and plan on pushing 2 shops in processing. I have no dought it will come out great. I also will shoot some at 100 soon just to see what it looks like for me. I can shoot inside under horrible lighting and outside with amazing lighting. It all looks great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Fuji CA type C and Type PD, Supra III, Supra Endura. They all look very good with portra.
    Too bad you can't get any of these in new batches anymore. (Maybe Endura in rolls, if you want to cut down massive rolls in the dark.)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin