Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 772
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Rudeofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,535
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Also, looking at what's available for RA4 (paper especially), I'm starting to have doubts about the process's future.
    I wouldn't worry about possible discontinuation of RA4 paper in the near future. Don't forget that a lot of digital images get printed to RA4 paper via light jet, since it still seems to be cheaper and/or more durable than color inkjet prints. Obviously a lot less is printed today than ten years ago, since most digi snappers are content with looking at their photos on the LCD screen of their cameras. But still: the availability of RA4 paper does not only depend on the few remaining color film shooters, so it should be around for a while.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

  2. #22
    hpulley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,214
    Images
    75
    I received a 575 foot roll of Kodak Supra and 100-8x10" packs of Kodak Endura and Fuji Crystal Archive II last week. I don't think RA-4 paper is going to run out soon. Why worry about whether it will be around in 10 years, you can print it today!

    Two workflows? Enlarger, adjust dichroic head mixing box for contrast (B&W) or color balance (RA-4), expose paper, develop, stop, fix (OK, blix), wash, dry... what is the difference in workflow to which you refer???

    I used to love slides but no one wants to see a slide show anymore sadly so it is prints for me now.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

    Happiness is...

  3. #23
    sandermarijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    771
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I received a 575 foot roll of Kodak Supra and 100-8x10" packs of Kodak Endura and Fuji Crystal Archive II last week. I don't think RA-4 paper is going to run out soon.
    Will printing on 'digital paper' give an as-good result? Is it hard/harder to get the colours right? Those are concerns I have.


    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Two workflows? Enlarger, adjust dichroic head mixing box for contrast (B&W) or color balance (RA-4), expose paper, develop, stop, fix (OK, blix), wash, dry... what is the difference in workflow to which you refer???
    I much prefer condensor enlargers for b&w, so that means two enlargers. I use different trays for colour and b&w; the colour chemistry especially is hard to remove from plastic trays, IME. I use different lighting to judge the colour prints. Also a different safelight. Different paper & chemistry, obviously (anybody use their colour stop bath for b&w?). Washing and drying are different (I use FB for b&w): no toning and no 'hypo-clear' bath for RA4, no taping it to a glass to dry flat.

    Both processes happen in the same darkroom; that's about how far the overlap goes, for me at least.

  4. #24
    hpulley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,214
    Images
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Will printing on 'digital paper' give an as-good result? Is it hard/harder to get the colours right? Those are concerns I have.
    The old Kodak paper I have is meant for optical enlargers too, seems OK though I am still tweaking things.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    I much prefer condensor enlargers for b&w, so that means two enlargers. I use different trays for colour and b&w; the colour chemistry especially is hard to remove from plastic trays, IME. I use different lighting to judge the colour prints. Also a different safelight. Different paper & chemistry, obviously (anybody use their colour stop bath for b&w?). Washing and drying are different (I use FB for b&w): no toning and no 'hypo-clear' bath for RA4, no taping it to a glass to dry flat.

    Both processes happen in the same darkroom; that's about how far the overlap goes, for me at least.
    Well, in truth I have one of each enlarger as well. So far it seems I can get the trays clean enough though I use dev trays just for dev, fix/blix just for that, stop just for stop just in case.

    And like you I do prefer fiber so you're right that the wash and dry are different. I don't tape, I use a press.

    But it isn't really that different overall. Scan, photoshop and inkjet is completely different.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

    Happiness is...

  5. #25
    sandermarijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    771
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I received a 575 foot roll of Kodak Supra and 100-8x10" packs of Kodak Endura and Fuji Crystal Archive II last week.
    You didn't try the Fuji paper yet? I saw some attractively priced 'lower grade' Fuji paper on the ag-photographic site (this paper). I used to be in love with Agfa paper ('Signum' I believe it was called). Would this cheapy Fuji (the non-II) be in a much lower class?

    I found that with some papers (Kodak Ultra II and Tetenal something) the colours were hard to get right (this was with Reala in 120), but on Agfa things always magically worked out right, somehow.

  6. #26
    hpulley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,214
    Images
    75
    it is the CA II I got and I was enjoying the Endura so I didn't get to trying the Fuji last night. I will.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

    Happiness is...

  7. #27
    sandermarijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    771
    Images
    11
    I'm curious after your results, if only just for the fun of it. I'm almost considering picking up RA4 myself again. Just trying to get myself that far...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin