Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,395   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Quick question - would a skylight filter count as a warming filter? I have one here, I use it to keep my 50mm lenshood from falling off my the RB, and it does look slightly warm, but I tried G with and without and didn't see much difference
    Probably not. Have a look here to see what's what:

http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E100G + an 81B filter is a good combination, close to E100GX, that gives a slightly warmer than real life but not Disneyfied palette.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    E100G + an 81B filter is a good combination, close to E100GX, that gives a slightly warmer than real life but not Disneyfied palette.
    +1. Very close. Always liked the E100SW/GX look. For "big sky" landscapes up here, the Cokin #173 Blue/Yellow polarizer is a stunner with E100G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on what you are going to do with the pictures. E100G is a fairly standard film in terms of contrast and color. It would be a better choice for scanning IMO, as it will render things with more detail and less contrast, which you can later change when preparing the digital file for printing. That can all be discussed at DPUG dot org.

But if you want to project or show the transparencies directly to people, and you want high saturation, then I would shoot the E100VS.

You also are on the right track with your G in contrasty light and VS in flatter light ideas.

If you want to print Ilfochromes, I would also go with the lower contrast and lower saturation film unless you really want extreme saturation.

In any case, filtering in camera on overcast days would generally be a good move when shooting transparencies. Depending on what you want, one of the 81 series filters is a good general starting place. When shooting color landscapes, I always try to have an 81A and an 81C on hand.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I have ordered 3 propacks of E100G and an 81b filter. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin