Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,430   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E100G vs E100vs for autumn?

Hi all

I have shot E100G recently and loved the look, got a week of autumn colour shooting coming up this month and I am wondering if it is the right film to take or if E100VS might be a better choice? I know VS has more saturation but concerned that it is probably a lot more contrasty as well and whether that might be an issue on sunny, contrasty days?

I thought I could maybe take some of each, perhaps use the VS on the overcast days and the G on the sunny days? Or should I just take VS and be done with it?

If someone was to ask you which you would take for autumn foliage, which would you take?

Thanks

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    My first choice for autumn foliage would be E100VS. It actually handles the contrast of sunny days quite well, I've found. In that regard, I prefer it over something like Velvia 50, which always seems to give me either empty shadows or blown highlights on a sunny day.

I also like that E100VS doesn't give me a blue cast in overcast conditions, like Velvia 50 tends to do without something like an 81B filter in front of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried Velvia, I really have, but I just can't seem to get on with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E100VS has a slightly warmer look than E100G. It depends if you want to go for saturation or accuracy.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd opt for G or, better yet, GX if you can find some after the '09 discontinuation.Not sure what NZ fall colour looks like but VS wasn't flattering to the pumped fall colour here in Ontario, Canada. G with a warming filter is another option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use both and compare.

Jeff

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E100GX.

I think most of the world's remaining stock is in my freezer.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    E100GX.

I think most of the world's remaining stock is in my freezer.
    Not counting mine, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think our fall colour looks as good as the stuff in the Northern hemisphere but it's still pretty decent apparently.

Shall give this some thought. Quickly as I need to order shortly....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quick question - would a skylight filter count as a warming filter? I have one here, I use it to keep my 50mm lenshood from falling off my the RB, and it does look slightly warm, but I tried G with and without and didn't see much difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin