Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,397   Online: 751

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually you are the only one who thinks I intentionally tried to steal something from the lab and there is nothing that even hints at pride in my actions. By the way, how is calling someone a thief not a personal attack. The part of your "apology" I don't understand is how you assume the worst in me, then blame me for your assumptions.

If I could erase the thread, I would.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Actually you are the only one who thinks I intentionally tried to steal something from the lab and there is nothing that even hints at pride in my actions. By the way, how is calling someone a thief not a personal attack. The part of your "apology" I don't understand is how you assume the worst in me, then blame me for your assumptions.

If I could erase the thread, I would.
    It is at least partly reasonable that I thought what I did. The tone of the post seemed irreverent and proud to me. And at least one other person read it the same way.

And I did not call you a thief. I restated what I thought your actions were. It is different.

I did not assume the worst in you. I judged what I thought were your stated actions.

And I did not blame you for my assumptions. I explained why I assumed them: the perceived tone and wording of your OP.

I am sorry you were offended, but I admitted I was wrong and took it back. Yes, I could have asked more questions first, but I don't think what I wrote was unreasonable. I don't see how my being judgmental about someone's perceived "admissions" is arrogant, insulting, or a personal attack. If law enforcement arrests someone for something they did not do, based on what was known at the time, is that arrogant or indicative of personal attack by society? No. And we have systems in place that "undo" this, once more information comes to light. Society, via the judiciary system (and sometimes via law enforcement itself, if the new information comes to light before a hearing), "takes it back," in other words. Do we insult the officers for doing their jobs? I "arrested and charged" you for something you didn't do, based on what I perceived, and I am sorry. But you should not be angry with me. You might consider being glad as a member of society that someone is willing to be scrappy about another member of society's perceived foul actions, and accepting of the actions that "undo" this (i.e. rescindment).

Your story is great, and your picture is great. I am glad you shared, and sorry I offended you and that I did not inquire further before making my statements. So, I propose that we move on from the distraction I unnecessarily inflamed.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Your story is great, and your picture is great. So, I propose that we move on from the distraction I unnecessarily inflamed.
    Thanks for the comments on the picture, agreed to moving on.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lab's are not stupid. They know that problem could not have been caused by them, and they know that he is the only one from that batch who had the problem. They just wanted to please the customer at all costs. It is a shame that so many businesses adhere to that philosophy in the United States IMHO.
    Customer service? Most businesses could not survive without customer service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice result. Not so nice knowingly stiffing the lab! You should give them their money back.
    No, just make sure you spend more money there.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever happen, the picture looks cool!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    Customer service? Most businesses could not survive without customer service.
    The problem IMO is the opinion that giving the customer exactly what they want even if they are wrong is flawed, and does not equal "customer service" in my book. More like "customer enabling" and self punishment. And it is a very U.S. business characteristic. But, that is my own opinion. We'll have to just disagree.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very interesting results!
    threemilesfinal.com - An Aviation Industry and Aviation Photography Blog.
    Canon XSi for the Digital and a Lubitel 166B for the Analog. I'm a Medium Format and Film n00b!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I re-read the OP's original post, and nowhere does he come off looking a bragard for his actions. In fact, #10 clearly says "realizing what I'd done" tells me he did not purposely defraud the lab. 2F/2F should offer up a genuine apology for his assumption, and get on with life.

BTW-- I love the photo. Maybe we should have a sticky thread for mistakes that worked to the good or astounding.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I re-read the OP's original post, and nowhere does he come off looking a bragard for his actions. In fact, #10 clearly says "realizing what I'd done" tells me he did not purposely defraud the lab. 2F/2F should offer up a genuine apology for his assumption, and get on with life.

BTW-- I love the photo. Maybe we should have a sticky thread for mistakes that worked to the good or astounding.
    #10 came after the OP, and my post. And several people have read the OP the same way I did. Big deal. Different people read things differently. Move on, quit bringing up a subject that the OP and I already settled.
    2F/2F

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin