Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,902   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How to cook your film

Step by step to great colour:

1. Load a Lomo or Holga with Kodak's Ektar 100 print film.
    2. Take a bunch of shots.
    3. Throw the camera in the glove box.
    4. Leave it there over a +35 C (100 F) week.
    5. Take the camera out and put it in a backpack, put the backpack in the trunk.
    6. Leave it in the trunk over the winter (-25C/-13F).
    7. Take the backpack out, curse at yourself for leaving the camera in there.
    8. Get the film developed.
    9. Argue with the lab that they screwed up, wind up with a credit on your account with the lab.
    10. Realize what you did but still enter some of the pictures in the local camera competition.
    11. Argue incessantly that you did not fake it in Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flowers.jpg  
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What color were those flowers originally?

It looks like maybe only one layer fried.

The blue leaves are cool for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice result. Not so nice knowingly stiffing the lab! You should give them their money back.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Step by step to great colour:

1. Load a Lomo or Holga with Kodak's Ektar 100 print film.
    2. Take a bunch of shots.
    3. Throw the camera in the glove box.
    4. Leave it there over a +35 C (100 F) week.
    5. Take the camera out and put it in a backpack, put the backpack in the trunk.
    6. Leave it in the trunk over the winter (-25C/-13F).
    7. Take the backpack out, curse at yourself for leaving the camera in there.
    8. Get the film developed.
    9. Argue with the lab that they screwed up, wind up with a credit on your account with the lab.
    10. Realize what you did but still enter some of the pictures in the local camera competition.
    11. Argue incessantly that you did not fake it in Photoshop.
    A week at +35c probably wouldn't harm the film, a month might, so I assume the trunk was at that sort of temperature over summer. Leaving it over winter at -25c would be positively beneficial - most pros keep film in cold storage as it lasts longer that way. There could be problems with a freeze/thaw cycle; if there's any humidity you could get condensation forming on the film that might cause problems. Perhaps a member with more C-41 experience will weigh in.

I'm guessing the foliage wasn't blue when photographed, but the background foliage is green whilst the flowers are a uniform yellow. Foreground flower stems and a few odd leaves are green. Did the parks department catch you with that can of blue spray paint? :-) j/k

I agree with 2F, nice picture, shame you unintentionally scammed the lab. Shoot 300 rolls of Ektar and give them your business to restore your karmic balance... :-)

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    I agree with 2F, nice picture, shame you unintentionally scammed the lab.
    Lab's are not stupid. They know that problem could not have been caused by them, and they know that he is the only one from that batch who had the problem. They just wanted to please the customer at all costs. It is a shame that so many businesses adhere to that philosophy in the United States IMHO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    What color were those flowers originally?
    The leaves were green and in the shade, which explains the blue becoming more prominent. The flowers themselves were a lighter shade of yellow, not the neon they now seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Not so nice knowingly stiffing the lab! You should give them their money back.
    When I dropped off the film, I thought it had just been frozen; I forgot about the heat, so it was an honest mistake and yes, I apologized to the lab tech and repaid the processing fee on my next visit.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The leaves were green and in the shade, which explains the blue becoming more prominent. The flowers themselves were a lighter shade of yellow, not the neon they now seem to be.

When I dropped off the film, I thought it had just been frozen; I forgot about the heat, so it was an honest mistake and yes, I apologized to the lab tech and repaid the processing fee on my next visit.
    That is good! I take back my criticism.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess his payback is that every time he comes in, the lab folks know up front they are dealing with a guy who actually lied straight to them just in order to scam them out of five or six bucks, rather than just accepting his mistake (which actually resulted in very cool shots). Lab's are not stupid. They know that problem could not have been caused by them, and they know that he is the only one from that batch who had the problem. They just wanted to please the customer at all costs. It is a shame that so many businesses adhere to that philosophy in the United States IMHO.
    On what basis are you saying I intentionally lied to them in order to "scam" money out of them? Since you know my mind at the time, how many other films of mine have they screwed up in the past which they admitted to screwing up? Your arrogance at my intentions and attitude is amazing.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is good! I take back my criticism.
    Maybe you shouldn't have laid it in the first place without asking for more facts.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe you shouldn't have laid it in the first place without asking for more facts.
    Given the information you gave initially, you sounded quite proud of it. My response was perfectly warranted given the understanding of the event that you presented. I erased what I said so as not to offend you, but given what I knew at the time, I wholeheartedly meant it, it was not arrogant, and I am not sorry, because it was an honest and sensible reaction to what was presented. It was critical, but based on an incorrect understanding of the facts and an apparent attitude of the post. And I am not the only one who took it that way. And what part of erasing it and saying that I take it back, don't you understand? Why are you attacking me after I admitted that something I wrote did not apply on reading further statements from you, and recanted?

So, I think a good case can be made that:

1) It was quite understandable, if not, in fact, more likely than not, that the statements in your OP could have painted a picture in which you happily argued with a lab to get money that you know you should have paid them.

2) If this was the case, my response was understandable, and nowhere near as harsh as it could have been. It was not a personal attack, as you have made. There were no names called – only presumed facts repeated.

And moving on, as I have stated, it is a happy accident, and I am glad for the lab (and humanity) that I misunderstood the OP.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-16-2011 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin