Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,756   Online: 832

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Does E6 starter go bad?

I have an unopened bottle of e6 first developer starter that has an expiration date of mid 2009. What kind of issues could I expect if I try to use this in a replenished system? I actually want to use this to start a tank of Xtol developer for B&W, but I don't want to ruin a batch if this really goes bad.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    The color changes to honey or darker as it goes bad. Straw color means it is fresh.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would say it is a straw to very light honey color. Should that be fine for use? I would only need to use it once in the next few days, then it will be discarded.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Starter should be fine. I've had colour developer replenisher from 2005 that was fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard it both ways, i.e that starter deteriorates with time and losses its potency like a developer would, and the other arguement.

From my read of the MSDS starters for developers it is mostly inorganics like bromide and maybe a bit of alkali like carbonate.

Starter works to build up bromide in the fresh solution to make it like a well seasoned developer.

In a well seasoned tank, the films being processed leave bromide behind as a side product of the development from the silver halide to elemental silver form to make the processed image.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin