Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,378   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

C-41 bleach E-6 bleach

I've got a little problem here. I work at a school and we have no more money in our budget. I've just run out of C-41 bleach but, I've got a lot of E-6 bleach. In a pinch can I use E-6 bleach for my C-41 films?

Thanx for your help,

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope.
    No cigar.
    I'll let someone else explain the reason because my chemistry is limited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The E6 bleach is more powerful than the C41 bleach because it must deal with more silver. That is a very simplified answer. However, with care, you can use the E6 bleach for C41. You must run tests first to make sure that the bleach does its job though or you can get higher grain, less sharpness and degraded colors. What you need to do is figure out the best bleach time!

Then, you use the process, Develop, stop, rinse, bleach, wash, fix, wash, final rinse. Use C41 times for all but the E6 bleach.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting Ron, I thought they were fundamentally different.

I need to learn to not offer any advice when it comes to chemistry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The E6 bleach is more powerful than the C41 bleach because it must deal with more silver. That is a very simplified answer. However, with care, you can use the E6 bleach for C41. You must run tests first to make sure that the bleach does its job though or you can get higher grain, less sharpness and degraded colors. What you need to do is figure out the best bleach time!

Then, you use the process, Develop, stop, rinse, bleach, wash, fix, wash, final rinse. Use C41 times for all but the E6 bleach.

PE
    Since I'm using a film processing machine with the times preprogrammed in; can I just dilute the E-6 bleach so I wouldn't have to change the time. If so, what dilution from standard E-6 do you recommend?
    Thanx

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Durazo View Post
    Since I'm using a film processing machine with the times preprogrammed in; can I just dilute the E-6 bleach so I wouldn't have to change the time. If so, what dilution from standard E-6 do you recommend?
    Thanx

Andy
    I have no clue. It can be done by trial and error to get the time, but I have never worked out a dilution table. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Interesting Ron, I thought they were fundamentally different.

I need to learn to not offer any advice when it comes to chemistry.
    Bruce;

They are quite a bit different. Both were based on EDTA and Iron III, but they diverged and C41 is made from raw ingredients (Ferric Oxide, EDTA and Ammonia) whereas the other is made from Ferric Nitrate and EDTA. Recently, the C41 bleach converted to an NTA Iron III bleach to reduce pollution. This is the Bleach III green bleach solution.

E6 beach has to fight a silver load while C41 bleach has to fight a DIR load. These differ subtly and the bleaches have to be fine tuned to match the products. Basically, the E6 bleaches have never been updated due to market demand, but C41 has been refined several times giving us the 3rd generation.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanx for the info. I guess I'll experiment.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do remember that the old C-41 Bleach II was the same rosé wine colour as the E-6 bleach so that's what got me thinking. Good to know about the chemical makeups as you told us.
    Thanx again the help is much appreciated.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy,

Could you please keep the thread updated with the results of your experiment. With discontinuation of E-6 kit, those of us doing both C41 and E6 are forced to buy rather expensive bleaches for both. Being able to use just one bleach would make things not quite as expensive.

Eugene.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin