Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,458   Online: 912

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bryanphoto

Plastic-free color printing paper?

Can anyone tell me if there is some way to do analogue optical color photo printing on a plastic-free paper? I would like to use paper without the polyethylene "resin" coating, if possible. Are there any papers or methods that would make this possible? Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no fibre base colour photographic paper. Other than inkjet, you would need to print in an alternative process.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    As others have said RA4 is all resin coated paper. Have you experienced all the surfaces available or are you basing your preception on what you imagine plastic to look/feel like? Ilford Satin is RC and yet has little ressemblance to what the "man in the street" woud assume to be a plastic finish. Likewise RA4 RC surfaces.

If you tell us what your issue with "plastic" is we might be able to be more helpful

pentaxuser

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think fiber base color went out in the early 80s with the demise of Agfa type B paper. The current resin coated color papers are quite good. Why fight progress? Well, maybe when progress drives you to d&*%&al it's worth the fight...
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could do color carbon print. It's a bit more work than RA-4 though...

bryanphoto
    Thanks for the suggestions. It is not necessarily an objection to the look of RC papers, but rather a desire to use a paper without any plastic -- perhaps a paper that is more natural. Since there do not seem to be any plastic-free RA4 papers, I am interested in alternative methods. Does anyone have any suggestions in this area (I will have to research color carbon printing, as mentioned above)? I do not know anything about creating my own paper that will react and print an image, but that could be interesting, if possible. Any techniques worth exploring?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanphoto View Post
    but rather a desire to use a paper without any plastic -- perhaps a paper that is more natural.
    The polyethylene coating under the emulsion is just one of many coatings on the paper. I wouldn't consider it to be 'more natural' without it. It's a production line, bulk manufactured process either way.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you could start with a relatively simple and inexpensive contemporary gum bichromate kit... it's worth a try. color carbon printing, or carbon transfer process is a complicated, involved process. the monochrome version is considered highly complicated and advanced. add in color and it's 3-times as advanced. the other thing you could do is print monochrome to a fiber paper and then hand-color it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bryanphoto, I have to apologize. I did mean it as a half-joke. Thank you Luseboy for straightening me out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't understand your objections to using photographic materials or cameras with plastic and alloys in them when you must shoot film, which is on a plastic support. There is no way to 100% avoid plastic or heavy metals in photography.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin