Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,730   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Differences in film quality?

Yes, I went there....

What do you guys use for the shots you get and where do you get it?

I've been using Grocery store bought Fuji film for my testing and dial in, but I want some better quality media for after I'm done learning the camera.

I've used Kodachrome in the past.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You use the film for your purposes. I'm sure, depending on your intent, Western Family branded film would do just as well as a $8 roll of Vevlia or something. It's all about using the right tool for the job, not about one being better than the other.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all depends on what you'll be shooting and whether you want color or B&W. Is the color film you bought Fuji Superia? If so, it's an outstanding film for the price. For a truly "pro" film, Kodak Portra (especially the new Portra) is getting raves.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford are the "big three" that remain. I've never had a quality issue with anything from one of these companies. Rollei also sells pretty technically sound film based on the fact that I have only had one issue, and it was an assembly issue, not a problem with the base or the emulsion. I had several rolls of 120 in which the film was taped in the wrong place on the paper, resulting in my shooting on to the backing paper for about one frame. Other films worked correctly in the same film back, and I got the rolls replaced by Freestyle. I'm not really sure about Foma. Efke/Adox are not up to par with the big three in terms of quality control IME.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    grocery store, drug store, ebay and from people here
    some fresh but mostly expired, i haven't noticed a difference.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Generic Fujifilm. 200 ISO. I'll probably save the good stuff for when I'm filming friends babies or weddings.

I'm desperate to see how these come out, but I'm gonna wait until I'm established in Bellingham first before I get them developed.

Now the next question, any one place better than another for developing than another?

One day I'd like my own dark room, but that's not gonna happen for awhile.
    Last edited by Petej; 04-23-2011 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot to subscribe completely....oops

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As long as the film is fairly fresh and have a Kodak or Fuji lable I doubt you will have any issue with the film.

The lab is a different issue.

For paying work I like Richard Photo lab in LA.

Regardless of who processes for you the single most important thing you need to establish with a lab is good communication.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Guess I'm not using Wal-mart then!

My local downtown shop/lab here isn't here anymore, so I'll have to I'll have to find I lab I like in Bellingham.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why do you think your Fuji 200 wouldn't be perfectly fine for weddings and babies?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    I dunno why it wouldn't be, just personal preference, I guess?

I was gonna see about the differences between the films. Run a roll of each thru at the same event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin