Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
Ok, it sounds like despite the fact that we have a significant hurdle in finding the "proper" filter settings using a fair amount of empirical testing, in theory there is no reason we couldn't eventually work out the details to shoot C41 and print separations optically.

Mountainous, but possible.
I think it's not even mountainous. It's fundamentally no different than making separations from slides or still-lives, the mask having no deleterious effect other than extending exposure times. You use the appropriate filters and the only testing necessary will be exposure times, but filter factors are given.

Unless you're talking about the proper filter settings of a dichroic head, in which case I don't know enough to speak authoritatively on the matter.

PE is right; check Kodak publication E-80 I believe.

As for the filters, 70, 98, & 99, here is what my Kodak filter handbook says:

70 - Dark Red. Narrow-band monochromat used for making separation positives from color negative films. Also used for 3-color printing on color papers.

98 - Blue. Equivalent to #47B plus #2B filter. Used for making separation positives from color negative films. Also used for 3-color printing on color papers.

99 - Green. Equivalent to #61 plus #16 filter. Used for making separation positives from color negative films. Also, for 3-color printing on color papers.