Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,842   Online: 897

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfochrome processor

I've bought a pair of 100 sheet boxes of Ilfochrome, now I need to process it. I've done it before by using the tube and motor base, but that's pretty tedious, so I've been thinking about a CAP40/ICP42 machine. Is this the best machine for the job, or would another be more versatile?

Once I've processed these boxes I doubt I'll ever do any more Ilfochrome, and I wouldn't do RA4 either. I might use it for 8x10 B&W film processing, but probably not for B&W paper, since it would be quicker to process in trays.

Is there a more flexible machine in the Ebay $500 range that the Ilford machines seem to go for, or is it a good buy for my application.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I've bought a pair of 100 sheet boxes of Ilfochrome, now I need to process it. I've done it before by using the tube and motor base, but that's pretty tedious, so I've been thinking about a CAP40/ICP42 machine. Is this the best machine for the job, or would another be more versatile?

Once I've processed these boxes I doubt I'll ever do any more Ilfochrome, and I wouldn't do RA4 either. I might use it for 8x10 B&W film processing, but probably not for B&W paper, since it would be quicker to process in trays.

Is there a more flexible machine in the Ebay $500 range that the Ilford machines seem to go for, or is it a good buy for my application.
    You setup a bit of a conundrum. You ask about a CAP 40 - but then ask whether there is one that is "more versatile" - and then you say you won't do RA4 or B&W paper. That leaves only film processing for the "more versatile" aspect.

You could get one of the Jobo units that could be used for all papers and films with the correct processing tubes. I'm not sure what they go for on Ebay.

But, if you're only going to process 200 sheets of Ilfochrome and don't mind ending up with a machine that will, in all probability, be useless by the end of 2005 - the CAP 40 is the easiest way to process Ilfochrome paper.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Steve

Where is this information , stating the demise of cibachrome by the end of 2005?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Steve

Where is this information , stating the demise of cibachrome by the end of 2005?
    Bob, see this thread. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/9035-ilfochrome.html

Larry

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Larry

I will be in contact with the factory in Switzerland , over the next few months and I will post what they tell me, I do remember the demise of black and white when colour came on the scene, as well I remember the panic when ink jets came on the scene, As well those poor fellows doing hand pull gravures should watch out.

Two years ago this post would make me worry as cibachrome was definately in trouble. But my reality is that I have to buy rolls of ciba and boxes of ciba off the ship transporting the product .
    The digital shops using this product and in some small way our shop here in Toronto has increased the demand for cibachrome.
    Five years ago the buzz was that wet processes were going to go the way of the dodo bird, well in fact , Colenta,Colex and others are commiting to orders for wet processors.

Ilford may indeed make this decision, but until they do I would say keep printing and when the stop making the product convert your processor to RA4 or whatever chemical process you like.

In the Fastball world we always would say " Never Panic"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Steve

I got this from two separate sources.

1. The custom lab that I deal with, and has done Ilfochromes for the past 14 years, has been unable to get P-3 chemicals for his large format (44-inch) Ilfochrome processor from a U.S. source - so he was importing them directly from a source in Europe. That source told him that they were notifed that the chemistry would be discontinued by the middle to end of 2005. This was last May, which was before Ilford Photo Products division filing for receivership.

2. The Ilford representative for my territory said, "It doesn't look good for Ilfochrome in general." She was, by the way, let go after 15 years as a rep just last week (as were all of the reps to my understanding). That was a day after receiving a letter from Ilford America stating in so many words, "not to worry - business as usual."

If you look at my post I said "in all probability" as the company is in a great state of flux at this time.

Since the photographic products division is in receivership in England, my personal opinion is that there is no way to predict what will actually happen to the Ilfochrome line of products. It may be that it generates good profits even at small volumes, or it may be looked at as a boat anchor for the rest of the photo products division - who knows?

I'm betting that Ilford may really not know at this point. My advice would be to take any answer you may get directly from Ilford as the "answer of the moment."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was at the local camera Store yesterday and they had a fax from Ilford saying that effective immediately the RC papers were discontinued, but the polyester base and chemistry would continue in production. They said that as these products were made in Switzerland they were unaffected by the UK restructuring, but were being discontinued due to slow sales.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Steve

You probably are right, the P3 process is the rc version of ilfochrome,
    As Kodak and Fuji discontinued the r4 direct reversal process I do not see any reason for Ilford to continue P3
    The process I use is P3X which is made for the cibachrome process which I believe Larry and others are using.
    This product is the original ciba material and is available in rolls and sheet in three grades.
    As well there is a p3x rc version of this product line(which I do not use) as well a backlight material.
    Your post caught my attention as I purchase from Ilford US directly and my lead technician was at the factory Frieburg Switzerland for cibachrome factory training. The p3x material is indeed not affected by the Ilford restructuring, as yet. (I hope)
    Larry and others, the only concern I would have is if printers worldwide stop using the material. As I stated in an earlier post I am booking ciba material from the cargo ship and I have been told that this product is making a strong resurgence, specifially the univerasl material , as it is being exposed ,by us and other labs world wide through these new digital devices.
    My hope is that Ilford continues to produce for my lifetime and beyond this wonderful product, I print all the manufactures paper products and cibachrome has a special place here in our lab.
    Now if only Kodak could start making Ectalure again I would be a happy camper

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin