Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,208   Online: 1024

Shooter
    Multi Format

200-400 fine grain colour neg film

Hello,
    I am looking for some advice on which colour film to use.I am intending to use this for underwater photography, so I probably need something a little faster than 100. I have previously tried kodak max 800 however this came out very grainy and lacking alot of contrast.
    What would be a contrasty, saturated negatve film around 200-400 that is still quite fine grain? I am overwhelmed by so many different types of colour film

thankyou.
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak Portra 400 is very fine grained.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Portra 400, it also has the flexibility for lower light that you will definately need. Avoid 400H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with Porta 400 also.

Jeff

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    looks like you're buying some Portra 400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thankyou! I was going to ask if the fuji 400h was any good ( i did shoot a few rolls of in medium format though have not developed yet, see how they come out :P )
    I also notice the portra 400 is quite an expensive film, but i guess it is worth doing right to get good quality pictures.

Thanks again for your imput.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bulk group buy from B&H, costs me ~$5.50 AUD per 120 roll that way.

400H... its fine enough grained with good colour, but I find its not that sharp really.. that is to say I actually find it kind of unsharp. And it drops shadow details... black/dark hair on a model eg will have nothing and be one flat area of black.. even overexposed it craps out.. to the point 160S and 160C are faster.

Portra 400 sees into shadows.. not just in the same lighting as your exposure, but also below your exposure in darker lighting.. even pushed to 1600.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portra 400. I shot 10 rolls two week ago, shot them as 200-1600 and can't tell which is which. It really is that good. Which can also be very beneficial when you're underwater and realise that you need 200 for this shot and 800 for the next one. It is also very scanner friendly, if you scan yourself.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Portra 400. I shot 10 rolls two week ago, shot them as 200-1600 and can't tell which is which. It really is that good. Which can also be very beneficial when you're underwater and realise that you need 200 for this shot and 800 for the next one. It is also very scanner friendly, if you scan yourself.
    So i would be able to shoot different speed on the same roll and it will come out ok? Thats great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you can shoot the different speeds on the same roll.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin