Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,382   Online: 1091

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Good UK colour lab?

Hi,

I've a few rolls of 120 that I need developed and printed [C-41]. In the past I've used Peak in Sheffield, but the last few rolls/prints I had from them [a year or so back] I wasn't very happy with. There wasn't anything really terrible with them, but they were grainier and slightly less colour-accurate than I'd have liked. If anyone's used them recently I'd like to hear.

Does anyone have recommendations? I know there's Metro in London but they are pricier than I'd like.

I've used Genie in the past just for dev-only. Has anyone had prints from them?

I could work hybrid and get the negs dev'd and then scan and print myself, but I'd rather get it all done as a package.

These are family portraits for a friend and colour fidelity is the key thing, no magenta skin tones, or odd yellowish colours.

Thanks!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a darkroom?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how they compare price-wise, but Farnell's in Lancaster is excellent for both processing and printing. It's a Q Lab, if that means anything anymore.

A google search for Farnell lab will bring them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do, sort of. I use a bathroom at home, but my enlarger is a black and white rather than colour enlarger, and 35mm only. I've been making analogue prints from 35mm, and working hybrid with 120 or occasionally using an enlarger at work. I had a medium format enlarger in the past but don't currently have space, and my workplace recently decommissioned their darkroom. I know relatively compact colour 120 enlargers exist, but they aren't an option for me in my current place. So with 120 I need to either work hybrid or send away for dev and print packages.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan View Post
    I do, sort of. I use a bathroom at home, but my enlarger is a black and white rather than colour enlarger, and 35mm only. I've been making analogue prints from 35mm, and working hybrid with 120 or occasionally using an enlarger at work. I had a medium format enlarger in the past but don't currently have space, and my workplace recently decommissioned their darkroom. I know relatively compact colour 120 enlargers exist, but they aren't an option for me in my current place. So with 120 I need to either work hybrid or send away for dev and print packages.

Matt
    Fair enough. I can see you're not really set up for dealing with Jobo machines, colour processing etc. My Jobo ATL-2300 works well but the whole system verges on an on-going maintainance project. The latest addition is the successful use of gaffer tape to keep the drum lid and tank together.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mcgrattan, If you are looking for a dependable lab try MetrColourLab in Birmingham. You can find their page with prices etc., on the net. There is Transpacolour in Leicester. I have used MetroColour for 35mm slides and prints; and also med. format slides and prints. Used them for several years now.You can post off film and results can be back in 3-4 days. Have also used Transpacolour in the past, and they too were good. Peak Imaging have always had excellent reviews, but I have never used them as they are pricier than a lot of the labs.
    Best of luck.
    Fred.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips, Metro in Birmingham and Farnell's look reasonable price-wise. I forgot, I've also used Transpacolour in the past, but it was ages ago.

Tom: yes, colour printing at home really isn't going to be an option for me any time soon. Even once I do get an enlarger for 6x6 or even 6x9, I expect it'll be 99.99% black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan View Post
    Thanks for the tips, Metro in Birmingham and Farnell's look reasonable price-wise. I forgot, I've also used Transpacolour in the past, but it was ages ago.

Tom: yes, colour printing at home really isn't going to be an option for me any time soon. Even once I do get an enlarger for 6x6 or even 6x9, I expect it'll be 99.99% black and white.
    I've been using Metro Colour Labs in Birmingham lately for both my C41 and E6 work in both 35mm and 120 for the last six months and have found their work faultless I can't recommend them too highly, and their prices are reasonable too.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As always I would put in a good word for Palm Lab in Birmingham www.palmlabs.co.uk - all dip and dunk processing, a proper traditional lab. But with all the digital services too, including the Chromira digital prints (onto Kodak endura) and also traditional colour hand prints.

They do all my printing and processing that I don't do myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin