Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,956   Online: 885

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Can H2O2 re-oxidise spent bleach?

Just wondering if H2O2 can re-oxidise spent bleaches of various types, since the H2O2 would then just leave water behind (and the bleach)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Just wondering if H2O2 can re-oxidise spent bleaches of various types, since the H2O2 would then just leave water behind (and the bleach)?
    The chemical processes of Oxidatian and Reduction do not necessarily involve oxygen. Actually, they are about the transfer of electrons between atoms. An ion / molecule receiving an electron is being reduced, an ion / atom / molecule loosing an electron (and donating it to an ion being reduced), is being oxidized.

These reactions are called redox (reduction/oxidation) reactions. Never confuse them with a compulsory involvement of the element oxygen.

Wikipedia has some articles you might wish to read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Marco, I am aware. I asked about H2O2, because it'll give off excess oxygen and leave just water behind eventually, so shouldn't otherwise interfere.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin