Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,747   Online: 982

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone used the new Portra 160?

So has anyone had a chance to use this film? Is it like the new 400? The review at figitalrevolution.com is interesting...hmmm.

I ordered 20 rolls of the 160, should be here sometime next week although I'm not sure when I'll be able to shoot it given my schedule next month...
    500ELX, 80CB
    RB67 SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL, 250KL
    Nikonos V, 35/2.5

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well, the 400 is amazing stuff, so I'll definately be selling some of my film stock and buying some of this to try out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I plan on trying some out today at a wedding I'm shooting. I may or may not report back

Shooter
    Multi Format

First use og P160

This week i used Portra 160 for the first time in commercial studio/product photography. As seen in the added image, the film is beautiful. I have only been shooting products with it. But colorchart-images renders FANTASTIC colour reproduction. Beautiful grain and the type of sharpnes i adore. Will use it on human skin later this week or next. Thumbs up for this film, i wont miss NC or VC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apug.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Very nice.

New Portra 160 Preview #1 by athiril, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot two rolls of the new Kodak 120 Portra 160 I shot some portraits of a four year old boy with it, the skin tones are superb, I had a local pro lab enlarge one neg to 20"X16" for the boys parents that I got back yesterday the grain was none existent I'm very impressed and am going back to the shop to buy some more before they sell out. I have a pack of five rolls of the 135 version but haven't used it yet
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Very nice.

New Portra 160 Preview #1 by athiril, on Flickr

This is a good demonstration of how this film doesn't overcook the skin tones and how accurate they are, this girl has that pale white alabaster skin that redheads usually have, and it has reproduced them perfectly.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I mostly agree with the figital dude, except I'm not really sure it's lacking in microcontrast compared to the 400. Can't say I've made a rigorous comparison by wet printing but in hybrid processing it has worked very very well (click for larger):

Both of the new Portras are absolutely excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought my first roll of it today in 120. I've shot enough of the Portra 400 for it to be my absolute favorite color negative film. If the Portra 160 is anything like the 400, i'm sure i'll like it too! My only worry is that I like to shoot my CN films at a stop slower than they're box speed is, and ISO 80 isn't really too fast so i'm not sure if i'll be using it as much as the 400, especially in the Mamiya. All my Nikkors open up to f/1.4, so ISO 80 is OK. 4th of July is coming up, and the weather is going to be real sunny, so i'll probably shoot my 160 roll then and see what happens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't need to underrate these films imho, it picks deep deep into the shadow (even the portra 400 does pushed to 1600)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin