Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,182   Online: 695

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Custom Filters for Lost Hard Art Processes

Hi there ,

Its possible to order any spectrum curved filter from labs. And virtually , its possible to customize your filter to your main panchromatic emulsion.
    I am thinking to order RGB or more filters to resurrect the lost processes like Autochrome or Kodachrome or PT PD or glass negatives because I dont have resources
    Its about taking multiple bw negatives and than paint or tone with software.
    Can it be done ? or am I missing something ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Umut,

First thing I'm curious about is why PT/PD would be copy-able in this manner, since it is simply a monochrome print process and thus can be printed with any negative. Thus, there is no filter or color information that will lead to its look, aside from the tone that you choose in software.

As for Autochrome & Kodachrome, well, I think you might be able to achieve those colors in this manner. If your separation filters & emulsion response can be matched to these processes, and the tone can be accurately matched with software, then your only barrier will be the logistics of making the separation negatives. That will require a still subject and a sturdy tripod.

Or you can find an old Curtis Tri-Color Camera

I hope that is helpful, but I'm not 100% on this stuff.

As a test, take a color photograph from flickr or somewhere, preferably from a color-negative (better color correction), and separate it into the RGB monochrome images. Then, apply the appropriate color from an Autochrome screen element, using the curves that you have posted before, and see what it looks like. It wouldn't be a complete test, but it might tell you if it's worth pursuing.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin