Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,002   Online: 862

Shooter
    35mm

Test processing C-41 film in black and white chemistry?

I have a roll of old NPZ 800 that was part of a handful of old, freezer-stored film I got with a camera. The leader is retracted almost all the way into the cassette (which is in the wrong canister), and there is a small piece of tape on the leader. My guess is the photographer who owned the camera shot part of the roll. I contacted him and asked, but he did not remember, and did not seem concerned about what might be on the roll. So I was going to do a clip test to see if it was partially used. I was wondering if I can use black and white developer and fixer for this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could.. or you could just process it in C-41 and get all the pictures (if any) on the roll?

B&W fixer needs to be stronger than normal with excessive times to clear C-41 film I've found.

Shooter
    35mm
    I experimented with ilford microphen and firstcall NE print developer for developing C41, and you will end up with very "thin" B/W pictures, with an orange mask. (B/W chemicals dont activate the C41 dyes, and C41 films use dyes for the final image (the silver being removed in the bleach step) As for fixing, using rollei neutral fix i did it in about 5 minutes at 20C. Enlarging them can be a pain in the backside, requiring very long exposures to get something half decent. If you attempted to print them on panchromatic paper, i have no idea how easy they would be to print. Maybe push or pull processing might help you a bit, and if they have been over exposed by a little, you might be a bit better off. I would advise going to the nearest lab and asking for dev. (negatives) only, they usually charge either nothing or peanuts for it. Or developing it in the proper chemicals. If you are just testing one before C41 processing the rest, develop them in print developer, which is stronger. dev. for about 2 minutes at 1 + 9, then stop and fix in the usual manner. I love the short development times of print developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was thinking of simply cutting off part and respooling, and bringing it to Costco (I don't do color developing). THey won't charge if nothing comes out.
    But, who knows what might be on that film. I don't want to take the risk--what if it's something not so great? That's why it'd be better to do it myself. I don't care about the photos (if there are any). Just want to see if it was used or not. I may toss it, but what would be the fun in that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll just shoot it and then see what comes... if it wasn't exposed you get your shots. if it was, you get some kind of double exposed neg that might (or might not) give you some stuff to play with...

at the end you said you wanted some fun no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Develop C-41 yourself. It's so easy, I have no idea why the mystique ever 'developer' (har har) about color being hard to do.

Color film in B&W developer is only OK for ancient rolls which have no chance of working dye couplers. With recent film, process it in color!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just pay the 8 bucks or less and have the roll processed. no lab should charge more then 2 - 3 bucks for a blank roll so not much risk.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought, C-41 films in BW-chemistry would give BW-Photos also. But there would be a yellow-orange tone...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin