Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,494   Online: 986

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mystery Mydoneg Box, chem help ?

i just got given a box of chemicals from a friend of a friend, in the box there was

two 1 litre bottles with "part A developer replenisher potassium carbonate" written on the label

two 250 ml bottles

the first is labelled "Part B Dev Replenisher Hydroxylamine Sulphate"

the last is labelled "Part C dev replenisher p-phenylenediamine deriviative"

and thats is all, no guides or instructions... im no expert in chemicals and know nothing about C-41 as i only use E6 in the past, some googling provided me with no guides or instructions so i guessed asking you fellows in your infinite wisdom

any help would be appreciated greatly

many thanks Sx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, they all are used in C-41 colour film development.

The part A K carb is the alkali - it sets the pH to allow the developer to work best, and at a rate that suits the three dye forming layers that are developing at the same time in all colour integral films.

The part B HAS is a dye restrainer of some manner, I recall form memory. My detailed notes are not close at hand. I believe it keeps dye development from one layer spilling into the next layer, but am not sure of the mechanism of how this would work to explain it.

The part C is a complex salt of PPD that is the colour developer agent. Likely CD-4. It is likely also in with some oxidizer inhibitor to keep it from going off all on its own. In colour film development the oxidation products of this long chain organic molecule link up with clear dye former elements manufactured into the film. When the oxidized developer component hits the dye former, a visible dye is created.

With ongoing use of a solution, the byproduct of previously developed films remain in the solution, and parts of the original soultion are partially exhausted. Repenishers restore the chemistry back to a balanced situation. The byproducts of developing a film are the silver salt ions: Bromide, Iodide or chloride (likely mostly the first two here). The colur developing agent is partially used up. I never thought of HAS being used up, but it is an organic, so it certianly can be.

Frequently chems are sold as replensihers, and a starter is added to mimic the effect of films being processed before the first films have been run in a new tank of chems.

As to the chemicals you have, without dilution or useage rates, you are rather stuck as to how to use them.
    As to disposal, the carbonate can be thought of as a laundry booster for extra dirty loads.
    The HAS and PPD solutions should be aerated to decrease thier BOD levels (ie wanting to take oxygen out of the water) It may be better to just turn them in as hazardous waste.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Samuel,

Do the labels have any distinguishing trademarks, names, colours etc.? Perhaps you might photograph the bottles and labels; their shapes, colours, labels etc. might help them be identified. If they're d.i.y. labels on old pop bottles, you'll have almost no chance of identifying them; otoh if the bottles are original and branded, maybe someone here might know something. Otherwise you might ask the source if s/he can remember what they are.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey, dont know why i didnt think of photographing the bottles seems pretty sensible. i have attached two images one of the box they came in the other of the bottles

is.gd/PfwOKU & is.gd/DTxSqg

unfortunatley due to my post count i cant post direct links or embedded images so i had to leave shortened urls

thanks
    Sx

Shooter
    Medium Format

Found it, sort of...

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the images, I viewed them fine and they were very useful. For others, Samuel's pictures are here (packaging) and here (bottles).

Your chems are a three-part set for developing C-41 colour negative film, and made by Champion Photochemistry Ltd. I've looked through Champion's website
    but I couldn't find the exact product code listed, so it's probably not a current product. It looks like they've moved on to single-solution developers.

Your mixing instructions are listed on the front of your package shown in your picture (mydo.jpg.JPG). The safety data sheet can be downloaded here. I can't find a technical data sheet in their 'document library', sorry.

I hope that helps anyway; maybe someone else here can supply proper instructions for you. You might contact Champion by telephone or e-mail for processing instructions. The product code (sku) is 140156, as on the front label. C-41 films are generally processed at 38c. / 100f. for 3 mins 15 secs in tanks - I don't know about this stuff though.

HTH,
    kevs.
    Last edited by kevs; 05-17-2011 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding url's of pictures.
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    wow thanks kevs you helped me a lot, i suppose i will put a test roll in for that time and at that temperature and see what happens i have loads of colour film laying around (the kind they give you free when you get film dev'd at jessops) and i shoot primarily b&w so its going unused...

failing that i will email champion and enquire further

Thanks again

Samuel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'll need bleach, fixer and stabilizer along with this developer for color film, it's a few more steps than black and white, but not as many as e-6

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin