Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,500   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great to hear Portra 400 and Ektar 100 prints well on Fuji CA. I want to try them soon! I was using Fuji 400H. Is there much difference in grain size between the new Portra 400 and Fuji 400H ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    portra400 has significantly finer grain, but honestly unless you are making enormous prints it doesn't make much difference IMHO. As far as I'm concerned the real advantage of the new film is in exposure latitude and shadow detail. Personally I find Ektar excessively contrasty for optical printing, but obviously it works well for lots of folks here. The Ektar colour palate does print wonderfully well however-- better than I've seen from scans.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One thing that was interesting to hear in one of the interviews with Scott Disabattio, the Kodak film pr guy Probably the one on Inside analog photo, was that he encouraged people to try optical printing the new film which was kind of remarkable given that a lot of the hype around the new films was that they are some sort of new "scan only" film. Of course it would help if we could have endura in cut sheets again...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They need a market for cut sheets. In a way I'm surprised there is much of a market, it is probably just us here who wants it. All labs will just want rolls for their machines... the fact that I can still buy cut Endura on eBay (expired) says there isn't much of a market sadly. We need to spread the word on RA-4 printing while we can. There isn't any cut paper in Canada it seems though thankfully I can get it shipped in from the US in a few days.

I'd love to try printing the new Portra to 30x40" to see how it looks but I'm not set up for anything that big yet... are you saying that 16x20" isn't much of a test for it?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually you can still buy Endura paper from macodirect.de

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    It's a nice film to print, totally different filter pack to both NC & VC. I focus using one of these and I tend to place it over a stray hair or blade of grass. .
    I have just got back to colour work and have found exactly the same tool as is quoted above to be very worthwhile. Grain focusers probably have the edge over the Kaiser in B&W but not by much but in colour negs the Kaiser type of focuser takes a bit of beating.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njelle View Post
    Actually you can still buy Endura paper from macodirect.de
    They are cutting it down from rolls. Kodak doesn't sell it cut anymore. You can tell from the white boxes, not Kodak packaging. It is expensive as I can buy an expired roll of paper for less than the price of 50/100 sheets at Maco.

The VC stuff isn't the best. For optical enlargement the Ultra Endura (Maco sells it, bottom of the page) is the only one that Kodak recommends anymore.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post

The VC stuff isn't the best. For optical enlargement the Ultra Endura (Maco sells it, bottom of the page) is the only one that Kodak recommends anymore.
    Thanks for that piece of info!
    is it as good as the classical supra portra Endura?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never used that classic, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by njelle View Post
    Thanks for that piece of info!
    is it as good as the classical supra portra Endura?

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Portra 400 sample scan

These are 35mm neg straight scans at 96 dpi. I thought someone might like to see some results. I have not enhanced them in any way except croping out the ends and edges. The camera is a Contax with either a 50mm or 80-200 zoom. I developed them in Unicolor C41 that has only had 3 other rolls of film thru it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worm.jpg   Wheelbarrow.jpg   Trunk.jpg   Plant.jpg  
    Bruce Osgood
    Everyone dies, so try and live a little first
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/camclicker/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin