Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,826   Online: 996

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Started developing color

It's been a while since I've done color. For the last year, I've been shooting color rather sparingly, so I'm just now getting enough film to exhaust a 20-roll capacity box of Digibase developer. I've got two rolls developed and hanging to dry, and they look good. One is a roll of Fuji Superia 400 shot at 400 and processed normally. the second one is a roll of Fuji Superia 800 pushed to 3200 at a TSO concert (I LOVE! them). I'm waiting for the chems to get back to 100 degrees so I can shoot an expired roll of Fuji 800 pushed to 3200 at the same concert; I'm not quite sure how it will turn out, but we'll see here in a little bit

scans hopefully coming soon

*goes back to daroroom to check chem temp*
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, the expired roll has been developed. the film is Fujicolor PRess 800. I've noticed the base is a good bid more reddish brown than the Fuji Superia films. Is that normal or have I underbleached / unverfixed my film? I followed the directions the same, and I developed my film for 4:30 since I pushed it two stops. Developing for 4:30 seemed to work well for the fresh fuji superia 800 pushed to 1600. I know the bleach and fixer cant be exhausted yet since this is just the third roll of film. Does anyone have any idea how brown the base for fujicolor press 800 is?
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "orange mask" differs even in emulsions from the same manufacturer.
    It also looks 'rustier" before it dries fully.

I'd wait till they are completely dry to form an opinion but I 'm not crazy about pushing color materials anyway.
    TMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    The "orange mask" differs even in emulsions from the same manufacturer.
    It also looks 'rustier" before it dries fully.

I'd wait till they are completely dry to form an opinion but I 'm not crazy about pushing color materials anyway.
    TMMV.

thanks for the response. I'm usually not a fan of pushing, but I do when I have to. I did compare a dry leader of fujicolor press 800 to a dry fuji superia 800. The fujicolor press is noticibly more reddish than the superia, which is more of a slightly reddish brown. PErhaps that's just how fujicolor press rolls. I'm going to develop one more roll of superia tonight. If there's any problem with it, then I'll know I've goofed up the chemistry

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The base color is different so it will hopefully print closer to the same filter pack. Unless it is really red I think you're fine, the bleach and fix should last longer than that for sure.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Developed one more superia 800 shot at3200 and another roll of fujicolor press 800, shot at 3200 as well. I developed the superia first, and the base color for both superia's are the same, suggesting I'm actually doing this right

The fujicolor 800 was still a really dark reddish brown. I did notice the fojicolor was waaay more underexposed than I expected, so i'm guessing it wasnt stored as well as I hoped (I bought 80 rolls off ebay, just for fun). Could improper storage of film change the base color? It expired sometime in 2008, if that makes a difference. It's not extremely old, but I guess if it's been sitting on top of a furnace the whole tim3, 3 years out of date is a long time

I havent shot any more of the fujicolor 800 yet, but I might play around with it and see if I can get some better results

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Regarding the color of the film base, I tried my first C-41 developing with some expired Fuji Reala 100, and it came out very dark and brownish. Then I tried fresh Kodak Ektar and Portra 400, which both came out with a light orange and very clear film base. So, I suggest you try some other (new) films for proper results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how brown the base for fujicolor press 800 is?
    I've just looked at my neg files. Fuji 800 (Superia or Press) is only very slightly browner than Superia Reala, they're quite close in colour with Reala being a little bit pinker. They print on completely different filter packs, though (800= M70/Y60, Reala= M95/Y80).

Do let us know how the push processing turned out. Superia 800 is a nice film at box speed, interesting to see how it pushes.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Do let us know how the push processing turned out. Superia 800 is a nice film at box speed, interesting to see how it pushes.
    the negs look printable to me, but I'm not good at judging color negs. I'll have to drop them off at the local chain lab (Target, for me ) to get prints since I cant print color in my darkroom yet. Hopefully they'll print as good as I think they look

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin