Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,984   Online: 686

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Please help!!! E-6 process

I've asked many people on forums but nobody offers help. Can somebody please help me on this?

I bought a PhotoTherm film processor last month for processing color slide. I went to B&H on 05/01 to purchase 7-step chemicals, but there were no one helped me on choosing the chemistry. The staff just didn't know about E-6. And the list is very confusing even the staff was perplexed. But he was able to helped me place the order. Here's the list;

Kodak E-6 FIRST DEVELOP REPLENISHER 10-lit - KOE6DRF10L
    Kodak E-6 PRO. RVRSAL BATH & RPLNISHR 10-lit - KOE6RBR10L
    Kodak E-6 COLOR DEVELPR REPLENISHER 5-gal - KOE6DRC5G
    Kodak E-6 PRE-BLEACH II/REPLENISHER 10 LTR - KOE6PB2R10L
    Kodak E-6 BLEACH REPLENISHER 10-lit - KOE6BR10L
    Kodak E-6 FIXER & REPLENISHER 10-lit - KOE6FR10L
    Kodak E-6 FINAL RINSE & REPLENISHER

I paid for it and have been waiting for 3 weeks (still waiting). Then I discovered from Kodak's website that the bleach contains two chemicals. One is very dark (bleach), one is clear (bleach starter). I've been googling around but there's no answer.

Here's my question. Do I need the bleach starter?

PLEASE HELP!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I first started doing c-41 color, I accidentally ordered only the Bleach starter, so for C-41 I do use it, and have enough to last some 150 processes. That being said, Photo Engineer has stated this which would indicate that it isn't necessary. It's a C-41 thread but he seems to be broadening it to the other color process (E-6) as well. My Kodak 5L E-6 kit doesn't have a bottle for Bleach Starter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

This is the list of needed chemicals from Kodak tech support

ODAK PROFESSIONAL First Developer Replenisher, Process E-6; 8313611

KODAK PROFESSIONAL First Developer Starter, Process E-6; 1671577

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Reversal Bath and Replenisher, Process E-6; 1123611

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Color Developer Replenisher, Process E-6; 8372542

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Color Developer Starter II, Process E-6; 1858158

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Pre-Bleach and Replenisher Additive, Process E-6; 1286228

KODAK Bleach Replenisher, Process E-6; 8192395

KODAK Bleach Starter, Process E-6; 1779792

KODAK Fixer and Replenisher, Process E-6; 1545466

KODAK PROFESSIONAL Final Rinse and Replenisher, Process E-6; 8140279

While you might get way without the starters, they are cheap relative to the other stuff and long lived. Personally, I would not risk going without.

Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First you need to verify that your Phototherm is set up for 6 step. On older models the EPROM can be for 6 step or 3 step, but not both.

If you have 6 step then keep moving forward. If you have 3 step only then you need an option chip from Phototherm.

Last I knew it was a $100 upgrade.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your input!!

I already set the SSK4 to 7-steps. I ran a full test with water yesterday. It worked smoothly.

My only concern is the chemcials now. It seems that I'm more confused now.

From Chuck Mintz's post, I'm missing these three chemicals;

KODAK PROFESSIONAL First Developer Starter, Process E-6; 1671577
    KODAK PROFESSIONAL Color Developer Starter II, Process E-6; 1858158
    KODAK Bleach Starter, Process E-6; 1779792

Can somebody please tell me if I need the above three chemcials for E-6? Kodak and B&H's websites don't tell much information about them. And I have no way to find out the answer. Is there a number I can call Kodak? They don't provide a customer hotline for inquiry. It's already a long wait. I don't wanna screw up my photos.

Please help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a post I made in another thread. The main thing here is to note the link to Ian Mazursky's spreadsheet that has detailed instructions for breaking down the 10 liter kits, which is what you appear to be using. Use of the starters is highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Ian Mazursky posted a link in a thread on another forum to his site where he has a spreadsheet that lists all the Kodak EAR6 and E6 10 Liter component CAT numbers, as well as corrected dilution instructions for making working solutions from them. Ian said that the Kodak CIS49 publication instructions for "Preparing Smaller-Than-Package-Size Amounts of KODAK Processing Chemicals" are incorrect for the EAR6 and 10 Liter components. Kodak reportedly confirmed that, and they indicated that they planned to update the document. Ian built his spreadsheet with the help of Kodak to get the corrected dilutions.

Downloads page at Ian's site: PrePress for Photographers - Downloads

Ian's spreadsheet: Splitting Kodak E-6 Chemicals xlsx

If you are interested in using the 10L or EAR6 components to make your working solutions from, you may find Ian's spreadsheet helpful.

Here are all of Kodak's Z-119 Process E-6 manuals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks SkipA!! Now I have an idea, though I'm still not very clear.

The three starters I'm missing should be for a better result similar to a seasoned tank. To my understanding, they're not necessary. Without them, the results may be unstable. I'm not sure if I get it right.

I'm just a film enthusiast. I have no prior experience in developing films myself. So I really need you guys' help. Thanks!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You DO need both the E6 First Developer Replenisher and Starter and both the E6 Color Developer Replenisher and Starter. You do NOT need Starter for the Bleach, Fix, Reversal bath, Prebleach, and Final Rinse.

The most critical steps are the First Developer and the rinse after the First Developer. All others go to completion. The Color Developer is critical in terms of chemistry composition but otherwise it goes to completion as do the Bleach, Fix and etc.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you PE.

That means I need to buy;

- First Developer Starter, Process E-6;
    - Color Developer Starter II, Process E-6;

But not;

- Bleach Starter

If I get you right.

When the chemicals arrive, I need to mix First Developer with First Developer Starter and Color Developer with Color Developer Starter. Right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even though E-6 CD runs to completion.. if you do not add starter to it, the colour is all completely messed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin