Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,388   Online: 695

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RA4 developer keeps very well in full sealed bottles (squeezed plastic bottles, for example). It's much more robust than, for example, C-41 developer. I have had no problems after more than a year, and there are reports of more than three years without problems. Even if the bottle is not perfectly full, it's quite robust.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have checked, its not flammable gas. It doesnt have flammable on the back. I will have a look at the wine saver type stuff. Argon would be better due to being innert, some of theese aerodusters also use nitrogen but its just weeding them out thats the hard part! Thanks for the replies!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Butane is still the cheapest & best option. Go buy a 300g bottle of gas-lighter refill for $2 - it's basically the same as the Tetenal stuff (might have some propane but so what, that's just as good), won't acidify your developer like CO2 and is easier to keep in the bottle (higher molecular weight) than argon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Butane is still the cheapest & best option. Go buy a 300g bottle of gas-lighter refill for $2 - it's basically the same as the Tetenal stuff (might have some propane but so what, that's just as good), won't acidify your developer like CO2 and is easier to keep in the bottle (higher molecular weight) than argon.
    Good tip there Polyglot. I have some at home. Will just need to find a spray nozzle to suit (or use the little torch that my wife uses for browning Creme Brulee's, as long as I don't ignite it!!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the simplest case, just push the nozzle in with your fingernails. If you want to get ultra-tricky, use the nozzle off a flyspray can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah....can be a bit fiddly, but that should do as well.

Would it be fair to assume that the Butane/propane mix will be fine with just about any chems? If this is the case, my kids will be happy as I won't have to keep on raiding their marble collections!

And while we are on the subject of protecting chems. I have been re-using old Ilford bottles to store all my working solutions in, but I have been replacing the paper seals in the caps with neoprene. Is Neoprene inert enough to be safe? Neoprene is easier to get and dirt cheap.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neoprene is fine for seals, and the 2 liter soda pop bottles work really well for keeping the mixed RA4 chems in, and it's easy to squeeze out the air, no inert gasses required.

Yes butane is fine for the factory bottles, no added stink in the lighter refill tins either.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hrst,

I've noticed it keeps for a long time, I have some mixed Kodak RA/RT chems from last august, prints look identical to ones processed in one month old mixed chems. Also 2 8x10 and 4 or 5 4x5 test prints from the same 70 ml used multiple times in a Beseler drum lowers the per print cost quite a bit. Note, All chems mixed with distilled water.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do NOT NOT NOT use carbon dioxide to preserve developers. It is not a good idea for alkaline or neutral fixes either!!!!!!

I hate to keep repeating this, but there must be about a dozen threads on this topic.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I decided to just get the tetenal butane spray... thanks for the warnings! could have been a very costly mistake for the RA chemicals! thanks for the warnings guys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin