Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,282   Online: 690

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You gonna blow up your house using butane. A spark or even a very hot lamp may set it off. Simple things like static electricity can set off a spark, like peeling old tape from film canisters, or when unrolling and big 400ft or 1000ft reel too quickly.

Shooter
    35mm
    That did occour to me... due to the rooms poor ventelation despite taking breaks and venting it.. I have just ordered some more collapsable zoom bottles, think they will be the safest route for now! And managed to find (and order) some nitrogen compressed air... after much searching and calling many manufacturers and having to get that shipped from the USA. I had second thoughts before ordering the tentenal stuff... and this stuff will last ages and nitrogen is innert I will use it to keep air off A and B in RA4 kits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nitrogen is NOT compressed air! Do not use compressed air.

I suggest that you all search APUG for the several lengthy threads on the subject of using an inert gas to protect developers.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    You gonna blow up your house using butane. A spark or even a very hot lamp may set it off. Simple things like static electricity can set off a spark, like peeling old tape from film canisters, or when unrolling and big 400ft or 1000ft reel too quickly.

Do you have a gas stove in your house, or even gas powered heating?

Do you smoke?

Does anyone own a cigarette lighter, especially a refillable one?

How about a gas powered soldering iron?

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that you pipe in directly from a mains (don't know about other countries, but Australia uses natural gas anyway) or get a 10 KG cylinder (again, Australia has these filled with LPG not butane). We are talking 300g's in a bottle that can be bought in any supermarkets. You also don't need to displace ALL the air out of your containers with the butane. Since butane is heavier then ambient air, all is required is enough to form a barrier to cover the top of the solution. This is probably no more then a short puff.

So, yes, there is a danger if you are not going to be smart about it, or you don't have any common sense.

I do agree, Argon would possibly be a better solution, but then again economically obtaining Argon in the quantities that we require is not necessarily easy either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Do you have a gas stove in your house, or even gas powered heating?

Do you smoke?

Does anyone own a cigarette lighter, especially a refillable one?

How about a gas powered soldering iron?

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that you pipe in directly from a mains (don't know about other countries, but Australia uses natural gas anyway) or get a 10 KG cylinder (again, Australia has these filled with LPG not butane). We are talking 300g's in a bottle that can be bought in any supermarkets. You also don't need to displace ALL the air out of your containers with the butane. Since butane is heavier then ambient air, all is required is enough to form a barrier to cover the top of the solution. This is probably no more then a short puff.

So, yes, there is a danger if you are not going to be smart about it, or you don't have any common sense.

I do agree, Argon would possibly be a better solution, but then again economically obtaining Argon in the quantities that we require is not necessarily easy either.

Good retort. I was beginning to think everyone had lost it about how dangerous walking in to Home Depot would be with a whole shelf of butane canisters packed together.

If you use argon, available at almost any welders supply house, you need to displace the air in the bottle. But if you use Butane/LP Gas (Propane)/Natural Gas (Mostly methane) then the gas is not only heavier than air, but it will naturally consume the free oxygen that may be trapped in the vessel with it.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen any definitive study as to whether these systems to replace air in bottles with inert gas actually works. Some systems use a high pressure gas canister which probably creates a vortex and sucks in as much air as replacement gas.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-24-2011 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In NYS, Butane or Propane tanks are not permitted in stores attached to malls due to the danger associated with these.

The other threads, I repeat, contain a wealth of information on this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best ways to insure that your solutions remain fresh is to

o buy a size appropriate for your immediate need.
    o store the solution in a suitable container. Use glass, PETA or PVC bottles for developers.
    o use the solutions in a timely fashion. This may require planning ahead so that you have enough exposed film to develop or for prints that you have selected the negatives you wish to print.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In NYC you cant even transport or have in possession propane tanks at all in Manhattan, they are illegal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really, http://www.manhattanpropane.com/

Besides, were really discussing Ronsonol 4.5 or 6 oz cans of butane for refilling lighters, probably available in almost every grocery store, etc.
    Bob

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin