Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,415   Online: 964

Shooter
    Medium Format

5 Year Old Agfa CN Chemistry?

I got home today with a van full of dark room stuff, from of all places, a pawn shop. $100 for the entire load. I'm half way through the dark room equipment and I'm VERY happy with my find. I also brought home a bunch of CN Film (C41 right?) and RA4 paper developing supplies. Including developer, bleach, fixer and stablizer for CN FILM and RA4 developer and blix. I also got some rolls of RA4 color paper.

Everything was stored in a garage for an undetermined amount of time. I found an invoice on one of the boxes dated 2006, so it's likely the stuff expired 2007 or 2008. Now I know most of it is unusable, but I'm not stupid, someone tells you to take everything, you take it all and throw out what you don't want later.

Here is my questions. I'm thinking the paper is shot, would it be usable for learning to process RA4?

The Fixer I can test, it looks nice a clear, so I think their is a chance it's good??

The CN Film Bleach Replenisher, that's C41 bleach right? That should be good as long as their is not parcipitate particals at the bottom Right?

Is the RA4 Blix worth using?

The truth is C41 developer and stabalizer is pretty cheap and I have a cube of C41 fixer already (it's the Trebla stuff you can use for E6 and C41.)

Any thought on what you'd keep or what you would throw?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep it all. Paper from 2006-2008 should still be fine. I use Kodak Endura that is that old, with good results. Try it all - no reason not to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the RA4 dev is three parts and the blix is two part, they just might be ok. The one part blix's seem to be the problem. What brands are the chems?
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Film Developer is in 3 parts, the paper developer in three parts as well I think. The blix is seperate, clear and dark liquid.

The developer is all Agfa, the RA4 blix is two part both agfa and fuji.

I will definately try the film developer, the paper developer, I don't really want to do RA4 processing although, it would be nice to be able to do contact prints of 120/220 film instead of scanning it all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Albert, if the dev is unmixed and sealed it should be good. I have some unmixed Agfa AP-70 developer that i bought about 1998 and stored in an unplugged refrigerator in my larder. I recently mixed some and tried it, it is absolutely fine. Blix will certainly be fine although you might get some sulphur crystals in the fixer part, you can just filter these out. I have some even older Blix from a RA-4 kit and it's good too. You might try it out, have fun. :-)

Agfa CN film = C-41, yes.

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    if the bottles were sealed, there should be no problems using them! monoconcerntrates (one solution for each part) tend to be a problem but from what you have said they are not mono concerntrates. best way is to try the chemicals and see if they work, given the cost of some of them! if you do not want to do colour printing the fixer would be of use to you as would part A? of the developer (i think its part b thats the colour developer part, C being the acelerator? please correct me if i am wrong

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone, I'm gunna shoot some cheap C-41 and try it this weekend. Thoughts on the Stabalizer?

Dang, I'm gunna have to find shelf space in the basement too... Not that that's a bad thing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Send all of it to me, I'll let you know how it worked. I dont charge much for the service.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin