Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1083

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bulb for #13 Safelight?

I have been given a 10x8 piece of #13 safelight glass and plan to make a housing for it but I'm unsure what strength of bulb I should use?

I normally print in darkness with the aid of an RH Designs safe torch but want to try using the proper safelight.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak Publication K-4 states, "Color Materials. Handle color camera films, duplicating films, internegative films, slide and print films (for making transparencies from color negatives in total darkness.
    Also handle papers and materials for Process RA-4 in total darkness.
    However, if absolutely necessary, you can use a safelight equipped with a KODAK 13 Safelight Filter (amber) and a 7 1/2- watt bulb. Keep the safelight at least 4 feet (1.2 metres) from the paper. Run test to determine that safelight use gives acceptable results for your application. Using a safelight will affect your results."
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Peter, I am sure that the No13 with a 7.5W bulb will be safe but whether it will be bright enough to see with is another matter. I had a Durst Tricolor with a filter for colour and a similar wattage bulb. After about 15 mins I could just about see a vague outline of my hand if I waved it vigorously in front of my face

In other words it was next to useless. The DUKA 10 or 50 gives good and safe light. When I obtained one I couldn't believe how bright it was and yet safe for the length of time needed for normal colour printing.

They come up on e-bay secondhand quite frequently and are reasonably cheap. Fintan had one(may still has)). He is worth speaking to to get confirmation of what I am saying about the DUKA

Try the No13. Your idea of how much light is needed may be different from mine and your very lowlight vision may be better as well but if it isn't successful and you are going to do a lot of RA4 in comfort then IMO the DUKA is the way to go.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info guys. I am used to working in the dark so I'm sure a very dim light would be sufficient.
    Making prints in the dark is fine but contact printing the negs is where I'd like a little light to line them up etc., as I just use a piece of glass rather than a proper holder. I'll get my hands on a 7.5W bulb and take it from there.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Personally, I use a Thomas Duplex with the color filters and vanes fully closed for color work in an 8x16 foot room. It is dim compared to a B&W filter, but I can see the far end of the room and it is still safe for 5 minutes.

You can use a 15 watt bulb if the light is to be pointed at the ceiling for reflected light.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a kodak safelight with a #13 filter, never used it myself, I got it in a DR that I bought.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is so dark with a 15 watt bulb I can't imagine using it with 7.5! I'm used to working in the dark but recently saw a #13 in the right size at a local seller so I picked one up but wow, it is dark, Dark, DARK! Is it better than nothing? I'm not sure yet... the outlines of white trays can be seen at least.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin