Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,588   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuji 160s

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What Steve said. It was confirmed with letters from and interviews with Fuji that all pro color neg films but 400H were done for, and that 160S, while being pulled for the time being, would eventually be renamed 160NS (with the product itself unchanged) and brought back. But I haven't actually seen 160S, 160C, or 800Z disappear from the shelves of all of the local stores that I frequent. (This may be a testament to how poorly they were selling.) I have not seen 160NS show up either.
    As usual I maintained it was bs, as only Fuji Japan can discontinue a product.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry to re-open the thread, but it appears that Fuji 160NS is not available in the US -- the usual places (B&H, Adorama, etc.) don't seem to have it. If so, I would be reluctant buy a discontinued product (160S can still be purchased) and will probably switch to Kodak for all of my C41 needs.

Does anyone have any information about this? Thanks.

Warren Nagourney

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have also heard that it won't be imported, which would be real shame if true. I haven't contacted Fuji USA, but that should be the first stop to verify this rumor. However I see no reason not to purchase the discontinued product. If stored correctly my experience is 160S works as well as new (to my eyes, not lab equipment) as newer film. So until it's gone I will continue to purchase 160S that is close to expiring.

I have also been buying the new Kodak Portra line, but have not printed any of it yet. The one roll I scanned looks great, and the contact prints also show very nice color. So I think it's a winner, but I don't like the higher cost the new films have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just shot a roll of Porta 400 and developed it using the Jobo chemicals (my first c41 development, but I did it at 39C and it seemed to come out fine) and printed it on Kodak Edge paper, processed at room temperature using Kodak Chemicals. I don't particularly like the Kodak paper compared to the Fuji (which has more intense colors), but I was fairly pleased with the result. The skin tones, in particular, were extremely accurate. I think I will be inclined to move to Kodak (Porta 400 for people and Ektar 100 for landscapes, flowers, etc.) instead of Fuji -- the annoying behavior of the latter's marketing doesn't make me want to give them my business.

Shooter
    35mm
    And what about the new Portra 160?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using both the new Portras. I like them both but prefer the 400. The 160 has finer grain but not by a huge margin and I find while the 400 is a true 400 I still like to overexpose 160 a bit (shoot at 125 or 100) like I did with 160NC. Unless I'm pushing the 400 to 1600 I can't see the grain when printed to 8x10 from 120 negatives so unless I'm going really big, 12x16 or larger I'm not sure I need the 160 (in 135 the story might be different). Ektar is finer grained still but its latitude is much narrower so you need to be more careful of exposure.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin