Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,484   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 160s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji 160s

Is it really really true that this film is being discontinued?

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, it's been renamed to 160NS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks edp. I had no clue despite all my searches and enquiries to Fuji.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a long thread here last year about Fuji discontinuing their whole colour pro line except 400H. Some very well connected people were adamant that all the other films bar 400H were gone in all sizes - a letter existed to this effect and there had been face-to-face meetings on the matter with Fuji. Now, we learn that 160S has become 160NS, so in a sense 160S is 'discontinued' but it is also re-branded. To me, this shows just how appalling Fuji's PR is and that by not only misleading the public, but also their own reps, they made a terrible decision to cut some films seem wholly worse than reality - something which internet rumour needs no help with.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Steve said. It was confirmed with letters from and interviews with Fuji that all pro color neg films but 400H were done for, and that 160S, while being pulled for the time being, would eventually be renamed 160NS (with the product itself unchanged) and brought back. But I haven't actually seen 160S, 160C, or 800Z disappear from the shelves of all of the local stores that I frequent. (This may be a testament to how poorly they were selling.) I have not seen 160NS show up either.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In all honesty I'm surprised Fujifilm is still making colour negative film at all, Kodak has been releasing new films a lot recently which are noticeably finer grain than the Fujifilm counterparts. I'd be happy if they focused mostly on the E6 products, where they still have the edge on Kodak, in my opinion. Either that or do what Kodak has done in the past few years and release great new films like Ektar, Portra 160, and Portra 400. Yes, other films got discontinued as a cost of doing this, but realistically, companies have to discontinue products to make way for new ones, or Ford would still be making the Model T.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rumours can spread out of a different meaning people give to words. From an industrial or a commercial point of view, if you stop 160S and make a different (doesn't matter how different) film, 160NS, you really "discontinue" 160S. This has important implication for production, marketing, stock management, relations with distributors and retailers.

We shouldn't try to read internal communications because that might cause unnecessary panic.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just glad I have a whole freezer full of Fuji QuickLoad film.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In fact one wonders whether this whole rumor mill of discontinuation actually serves Fuji well. People like me have spent a tiny fortune in hoarding up the 160S because we love the fineness of the film. Agree with what everyone says. I like the new Kodak Portra too - smooth as silk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just an afterthought, all Fuji needed to do is put up a press release on it's website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin