Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,959   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Colorstar 3000 Measuring Probe Covers

I have dug out my colorstar 3000(8 channel version) again to do some colour neg printing and having examined the accessories supplied with it and thoroughly read the manual but I am still puzzled about exactly what probe covers I actually have. The manual in my opinion doesn't describe the covers very clearly.

Spot Measuring: I have the clear spot probe cover which I think requires that part 152 is used at all times. This is the translucent part that is placed over the measuring cell and shaped to fit under the clear top 151.

Am I right in assuming that part 152 is used at all times?

Selective integral measuring: This is listed as part 104. However I seem to have two different types. The first has a white top which is smooth on both surfaces and underneath has an inverted white plastic dome which has an opening of 17mm. This seems to be designed to diffuse the light from the projected negative but only allow the central 17mm portion to reach the measuring cell

The other cover I have has a slightly greyer and darker looking smooth top with an underneath section which is quite rough so the light would be very diffused and this cover has no white plastic inverted dome so all the light from the projected neg will register on the measuring cell. In other words this probe cover is the same size as the other covers(60mm across) but will allow a 60mm section of the neg to be projected through the cover, so a much bigger section of diffused neg is measured(60mm v 17 mm)

Full Integral Measuring: This appears to be provided by a 7cm x7cm sheet of diffusion material which is placed under the lens to give full integral measuring using the clear spot probe cover.

I think I have understood the parts for spot measuring and full integral measuring but I am confused about what the two white covers are designed for and which one (17mm gap on top of inverted white plastic dome or 60mm cover without any plastic dome ) is the appropriate one for selective integral measuring.

I think it has to be the one with the 17mm gap but what is the cover with a smooth/rough diffuser for? I could see no reference to two covers in the manual, just to cover 104.

Hopefully one of our Colorstar 3000 users will be able to clarify matters. Needless to say neither cover has any number on it to help with identification.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I have had 42 views but presumably none have been Colorstar 3000 users. Hopefully such users will see this and give their opinions about which cover is for the selective intergral measuring. This is the measuring system which Colourstar recommends a newcomer starts with but until I know which is the correct cover I am kind of stuck.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    One more bump! I have researched my previous posts on anything to do with the Colorstar and noted that I had mentioned the two different diffused covers. I was getting help on a bigger issue at the time from several users but only Nick Zentenna replied on the covers( maybe he was the only one to spot the question).

He used the clear spot cover for everything and didn't have the cover I was describing However I noted that Ed Sukach, Mike Wilde, L Gebhardt and hka were also helping. There may be others out there as well.

A source of info on the Colorstar would help. I might be able to see pictures of the different covers so I can identify the one for selective integral measuring.

So anyone out there with a Colorstar 3000 who can help?

Thanks

pentaxuser

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentaxuser,
    I made a scan of the probe covers from the Dutch manual. But I think you will see how the different covers will fit on the probe.
    If you've got any question about it please take contact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Probe_3000.jpg  
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks hka, I have the same pictures but the last one only shows the top of the cover so I can't tell if the underneath is like my open inverted dome or like the rougher finish cover which has no dome.

I am convinced that both of my diffused covers are Lici equipment. They came with the Colorstar and fit the probe perfectly and yet the manual only seems to mention one diffused cover which is the 104. One of mine must be the 104 but I don't know which one, nor what the other one is for. It might be for full integral measuring but the clear spot probe plus the 7x7cm diffusion material to fit under the enlarger lens seems to be for this, so it remains a mystery

I hope you are well. We met on the Oct 2008 Ilford tour. I was in your group in the afternoon. I was the one with the bald head and Scottish accent!

pentaxuser

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I remember that we met each other at Ilford.
    I hope that I can explain what the differences in use are of the covers.
    In the picture you see the 2 probes.
    Left is the clear one (151) for spot measuring. In this case I fitted already the ∅ 4mm (106) stop. Without this stop ∅ is 6mm.
    Right is the translucent cover for semi-integrated and integrated readings. This is the 104. This one is used for metering a part of the pictures where color and density are fairly neutral, no dominances in color. When in doubt, it is advisable to measure multiple points and then averaging.
    The diffusion material has to be fitted under the lens and is used for fully integrated readings in combination with the 151 with 6mm and of course fitted with the 152. Measuring in the middle of the baseboard.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails probe-01.jpg   probe-02.jpg  
    harry

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for taking all this trouble, hka, to help me. Much appreciated. It looks as if the diffused cover which doesn't have a plastic white dome underneath is the correct one for selective integral measuring. This leave me wondering what the cover with the inverted white plastic dome underneath and the 17mm opening on top of the dome is for.

I had assumed that with a hole which was 17mm this was the one which allowed you to measure more accurately smaller areas(17mm areas) on the projected negative.

Well my logic was wrong but leaves the mystery of the cover with the inverted plastic dome.

I think I have counted at least 7 Colorstar user here on APUG . Surely I can't be the only one with this cover, can I?

You are the only one who has responded to the thread and thank goodness you have. If I want to find out what the other cover is for, it looks like I might have to PM each of the other users individually.

Many thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to miss the post. I was on the road all weekend, and holed up in the darkroom yesterday.

My good old Colourstar 3000 helped me bang out about 75 RA-4 8x10's in about 6 hours. The Fujimoto cp31 roller processor helped an awful lot to sustain that level of thoughput.

20 of those were the same print, and 15 others were taken under the same light colour, with differences in intensity.

I printed on old Portra III paper bought as a lark at a camera show last week. 100 sheets for $5. I thought to try it out first; other newer papers were thawed and ready, but the portra did fine, and gave me exactly the look I wanted.

The pictures were of a theatrical production. the play was a 1960's period farce, that has a sub plot with a 1920's flapper appearing to the lead actor only. The Portra held the details in the white wedding dress of one of the characters very well, and kept colour saturation low, as I desired, for the scenes with the flapper girl, with her matte light toned makeup.

The colourstar was tuned to read skin tones, and produced even skin tones in photos taken all across the stage, even though my portable strobe heads lighting varied from f/16 at the front to f/8 at the back of the stage.

I usually just use the full diffuser under the lens for colur balance, and then spot with the print transmittancy cover and it's dffuser left in place.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Mike. I was hoping that other Colorstar users would add their voices.

From what you have said, Mike, you don't have the same cover either so my mystery cover remains a mystery cover. I think that you are saying that for measuring you use the 7x7cm diffuser material sheet under the lens but instead of placing the clear spot cover in the middle of the projected neg for full integral measuring you move the the clear spot cover around the neg to get several measurements and this gives a good print. Have I got this right?

You don't use the diffuse cover 104 as shown by hka and use that in several positions on the projected neg?

Thanks

pentaxuser

PS Do you use the Nova sytem for processing? maybe you can have a look at my other two threads. I am having difficulties with safelight fogging and potential age-fogged paper as well. PE has given some help there but I won't say anymore here otherwise the threads get mixed up.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you place a picture of the probe you mentioned above. Because I don't understand what you mean with your mystery cover.
    The 17mm hole in the clear cover is just for cosine correction. That saying if you place the probe out of center under the lens then you can adjust the lightfall on the probe by tilting the white plate of the sensorhousing so that the shadow of the 17mm space around the sensor is evenly distributed.
    harry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin