Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,838   Online: 985

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

ilfochrome test strips

I would (finally, after talking about it for almost a year ) like to start with my first Ilfochrome experiments and have a few questions left. If all I process is a little strip of exposed paper, it seems wasteful to run a whole quantity of single shot chemistry. Even the small Jobo 1510 tanks state 140 ml for roll processing. With the 3x1l kit this would mean I have 7 test runs before I have to get new chemistry ....

- Assuming I only have a smal test strip: can I reuse the chemistry or will consecutive runs yield so much different results that they will provide more confusion than information?

- How little chemistry do I really need in a 1510 tank with one test strip of paper?

- Since the 1500 series tanks to not have the grooves I find in the 2500 series tanks, I assume I have to build some insert which holds the paper in place and allows the chemistry to get to the paper from behind. Are there any standard materials known to work, i.e. not interfere with chemistry and paper?

- Once I got the process sorted out: how much chemistry should I use with the 2500 series tanks? Is the main requirement that the paper is fully immersed or is the minimum chemistry quantity per cm^2 the limiting factor?

Thanks in advance for all answers!
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a direct answer for you. Hopefully others will.

I use an automatic processor that holds 2.5 Liters for each step. I can process 35 8x10's before the chemistry is exhausted.
    The chemistry kit you purchased may have a breakdown on the chemistry's capacity which you may then be able to break down further. (ml of chemistry per sq.inch of paper)
    If the chemistry is even partially exhausted, you will know - the blacks will be dull and the colors will lack saturation.

I would also say that you shouldn't push your luck with the chemistry capacity: it is a false economy as any wasted paper is also expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a small test drum that will do 2 4x5 sheets in 40ml. Look for the 2820 or the 2523 (film drum, but is the same as the 2820, not counting the lid).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Even the small Jobo 1510 tanks state 140 ml for roll processing. With the 3x1l kit this would mean I have 7 test runs before I have to get new chemistry ....
    The 3x1l kit, at least the one I know of, is for 1+1 dilution, so you don't have 7 test runs, but you have 14 test runs (or 7 test runs and 7 prints). Of course, using less chemistry in a smaller drum (with smaller sheets) will save you even more, but... this is already a 100% difference.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes, I did notice later that I get 2 l of each dev component after mixing, 14 runs is not that bad, and with that other tank I'd get even 50 runs. I am still curious how many shots one can get out of, let's say, 200 ml dev in multiple runs while still maintaining acceptable quality.

Here is my strategy so far:
    • I read somewhere that Ilford FB black and white paper has about the same light sensitivity as Ilfochrome sheets. I will use this to get into the ball park with little effort. My initial fear was that I'd need 6 strips of Ilfochrome to get there.
    • I will cut down the Ilfochrome paper into 6x9cm sheets, since this allows me to run multiple experiments in one run. This may speed up things once I am in the ball park and only want to fine tune filtering
    • With a Wallner densitometer I should be able to adjust paper exposure without too many test strips, even if I switch from 35mm to 6x7 slide size.

I learned from reading multiple sources that Ilfochrome is a simple process once everything is dialed in properly and if the process can be made repeatable. It's just the first few steps that seem to require extra effort and consideration ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin