Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,343   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

C41 in RA4 chemistry cross-processing

has anyone tried this? i was curious to see what would happen, i think i need to extend the blix times because paper blix is much weaker...

my first attempt produces negatives with a very dense base, nearly impossable to print from... i was thinking i need to blix it for longer, any suggestions as to what i should do next? i look foward to getting some freaky but cool results

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simple to test, put a strip back in some blix for 5 min and see what develops.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Develop some C-41 film in Rodinal 1+25 + ~5g of table salt per 300ml (non-iodised) at 20c for ~8 minutes, stop, wash, fix, wash, bleach (not blix), wash, expose to light, then run it through a colour developer, bleach and fix from there.

Also don't overexpose with the above method, but you can underexpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C41 developer was designed for a high speed high Iodide emulsion and the RA4 developer was designed for a slow speed fine grained emulsion. Therefore, they will perform poorly if products are cross processed using these chemistries and materials. In addition, C41 uses CD4 and RA4 uses CD3 for the color developing agent which causes additional problems.

C41 requires a different chemical bleach and fix, but a blix is barely adequate. Even longer times will not fix this problem! C41 also requires a final rinse for best stability.

PE

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developing RA-4 paper in C-41 chemistry is can also be done, with better results. I tried it once and the colors didn't seem that far off but may give you an effect you like. And more to experiment with.

RPC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The C41 developer was designed for a high speed high Iodide emulsion and the RA4 developer was designed for a slow speed fine grained emulsion. Therefore, they will perform poorly if products are cross processed using these chemistries and materials. In addition, C41 uses CD4 and RA4 uses CD3 for the color developing agent which causes additional problems.

C41 requires a different chemical bleach and fix, but a blix is barely adequate. Even longer times will not fix this problem! C41 also requires a final rinse for best stability.

PE
    On that note, movie film looks absolutely terrible in C-41.. dMax was good, fine, normal, but dMin was barely separated from dMax (on the neg), it's not old/fogged film either, 5201 50D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, movie films were designed to work with CD3 and still films to work with CD4. Otherwise the developers are quite similar. The difference in activity of the developing agents will cause quite a difference in development and fog.

As for color papers, the Iodide and Bromide in the film developers will affect the paper, as it was designed for a developer without them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. Would this make RA-4 a better choice for C-22 films than room temperature C-41?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All films require the presence of KI and NaBr to control development. In addition, the C-22 films required Benzyl Alcohol. So, the use of RA4 is possible if the developer is doctored a bit with some chemicals. A pH adjustment would be needed as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. If I have some old C-22 to rescue I'll give it a try.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin