Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,034   Online: 874

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Images

What is a C print?

I'm letting my ignorance flop out on the table here. I hear mention of these all the time but I don't know what they are. Can someone tell me? How is the process different from others and why don't people like them?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I'm letting my ignorance flop out on the table here. I hear mention of these all the time but I don't know what they are. Can someone tell me? How is the process different from others and why don't people like them?
    Color print developed by the C41 process.

Images
    Whelp, now I feel F-in stupid. Could it have been more obvious.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Whelp, now I feel F-in stupid. Could it have been more obvious.
    Dont worry, I have had the same brain farts many times......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, like just now. It's a color print, usually processed by the RA-4 process, from a negative, usually processed by the C-41 process.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The "C" stands for Chromogenic.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    a lot of digital printers now use "C-Print" to describe their digital output, removing all description that it had anything to do with digital whatsoever

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Color print developed by the C41 process.
    Are you sure about this?

Cibachrome - Now Ilfochrome - is considered to be a classic direct positive "C " print, and the chemistry for that is either "P3 or P30". Kodak Radiance is another "direct positive" - process "R3/ R3000." I'm not familiar with Fujichrome papers.

"C41" is negative color FILM chemistry. Unless I've been confused into buying additional chemistry through deliberate mislabeling, these are all not the same.

Ilford "P30" is the only chemistry I'm really - and deliberately- afraid of. I think that the "nasitiness" of this chemistry and its unique disposal techniques is the real reason for the demise of Ilfochrome. Oh, boy - that little packet that says, "Cut this packet open and, holding the edges together, immerse the cut edges under the surface of the liquid, taking precautions to prevent any dust from escaping into the air. Mix *ONLY* in an area with plentiful ventilation".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Yeah, like just now. It's a color print, usually processed by the RA-4 process, from a negative, usually processed by the C-41 process.
    LOL...well yeah, could be. Back when I was doing color development both prints and film, it seemed the chemistry was the same, but that was more than 20 years ago, so it could have changed names by now. In essence, is a color print developed in color chemistry, as opposed to and ink jet print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    a lot of digital printers now use "C-Print" to describe their digital output, removing all description that it had anything to do with digital whatsoever
    I guess a "C-Print" could now stand for a CR^P Print!

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin