Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,605   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    P.S. Kodak C-41 Pro and ECN-2 are almost IDENTICAL in contrast now. Literally within a couple of percent of each other. Vivid Fuji neg in ECN is more contrasty than C-41 pro. So all you need is a different filter pack; no chemistry modifications required for RA-4 or ECP-2D.

Can't say I do much optical printing of ECN-2 negs onto paper, but if the contrast is the same on the print stock. . . the contrast should be the same on paper too, right? I can't see any reason to modify anything, unless you think Portra prints too flat too on current RA-4 stocks.

It's really the problem of the PAPER SURFACES being discontinued, not any mismatch with the film. Where is a Portra Paper, Supra paper alternative? That is where flashing, pushing chemistry manipulation where be necessary for optical printing in the very near future.

All that is out there is Mitsubishi I assume high-con paper Fuji PIII Crystal archive pro and CA amateur paper and Kodak Ultra or Edge (basiically the same thing, just tighter tolerances on the Ultra). Is there any such thing as a low-contrast, optical compatible RA-4 paper?

Only near alternative I can think of is a flashed paper to bring the ocntrast down with and/or a developer tweak for the RA-4 chemistry. Maybe the contrast of hte paper can be lowered by just tweaking chemistry. Flashes have the nasty habit of eliminating true whites on prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! I have to keep you in mind.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Glad to see you pop in here! (This is the other lab I'd been emailing with regards to getting processing for still-camera lengths of movie film. Someone else has been conversing with cinelab.)

And I really am going to send you some test film Any Day Now! I've shot some tests in daylight (daylight film, and tungsten film with a correction filter) but I still need to shoot some actual tungsten-lit tests before I send in a bunch of rolls all at once.

Duncan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin