Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,990   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I found out that Freestyle has TWO types of chemistry to process RVP 50, so I'm going to get started testing this stuff and figure it out. This is a great thread and I'm thrilled that it's still possible. The only thing that stands in my way is finding a color module for my Leitz V35 and a good book on the process. Should anyone know the whereabouts of one these color modules, I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

Thank you,

Puma
    I'm looking for;

Leitz V35 color module
    E55 and E39 Red (090) and dark green
    Contact printing frame,
    One 11x14 tray with the pour spout corners,
    A grain focuser,
    Archival print washer 12x16 or 11x14
    Leica 12526 Rectangular hood, and hood cap for same
    Leica 12592 Hood cap
    User condition Leica 90 summicron or elmarit

Shooter
    Large Format

Ilfochrome and Chemistry at Freestyle by Special Order

From #18

You could get Ilfochrome stuff from Freestyle (via special order) and B&H last I checked. Has that changed?

I emailed Freestyle to find out because I hadn't seen it listed under color papers or color chemistry. Here's the response I received:

"Yes, we offer the P 30 2 liter developing kit, and the Ilfochrome papers in standard and moderate contrast. The are drop shipped from the vendor, so please contact us for shipping quotes.

Thank you,

Tori Puente

Telesales Representative

Freestyle Photographic Supplies

800-292-6137 ext. 151

tori@freestylephoto.biz"

So the good news is that we can still get Ilfochrome and the processing chemsitry.

Thus we can still make prints of our color transparencies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    From #18

I emailed Freestyle to find out because I hadn't seen it listed under color papers or color chemistry. Here's the response I received:

"Yes, we offer the P 30 2 liter developing kit, and the Ilfochrome papers in standard and moderate contrast. The are drop shipped from the vendor, so please contact us for shipping quotes.

Thank you,

Tori Puente

Telesales Representative

Freestyle Photographic Supplies

800-292-6137 ext. 151

tori@freestylephoto.biz"

So the good news is that we can still get Ilfochrome and the processing chemsitry.

Thus we can still make prints of our color transparencies.
    That is good that they have been able to set that up. It is $90 for a 2L kit of the chemistry, last I checked, and a few hundred bucks or so for a box of the printing material, I believe.

So, it's an expensive practice. $400 (a box of 11x14 print material and 4L of chemistry) might get you four 10-print editions, if you aren't wasting a lot of printing material to get to your perfect print. If you don't need so many copies, you'll get more, of course. And don't forget the cost of the masking film, at over a dollar a sheet.

Apparently surfaces other than glossy are still manufactured as well, but they are only sold in large quantities to professional labs, so home users are out of luck.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie duncan View Post
    As to dynamic range I make it 3.67 EV - I will have to check the product guide. As you will know depends on the light how far it is plus and how far it is minus but I have never managed to exceed 3.67 EV.
    What?! You seem to have a very own definition for EV -- or dynamic range, for that matter. Are you sure you are not speaking about Dmax, a totally different subject? Though, the Dmax is not 3.67, but nearer to 3.5, but I cannot figure out any other number that is even close to your 3.67. For log H, on the other hand, 3.67 is too much for any slide film for any purpose.

It surprises me every time how difficult it is to learn to read the characteristic curves, found in the datasheets published by the manufacturers. The internet is full of crazy legends and sayings with no understanding which would be extremely easy to obtain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What's the best book to learn to develop and print slides?
    I'm looking for;

Leitz V35 color module
    E55 and E39 Red (090) and dark green
    Contact printing frame,
    One 11x14 tray with the pour spout corners,
    A grain focuser,
    Archival print washer 12x16 or 11x14
    Leica 12526 Rectangular hood, and hood cap for same
    Leica 12592 Hood cap
    User condition Leica 90 summicron or elmarit

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you can find one, this book covers Ilfochrome printing. (originally Cibachrome), but doesn’t cover E6 film developing.

Complete Guide to Cibachrome Printing (HP photobooks)

ISBN 10: 0895861763
    ISBN 13: 9780895861764
    Authors: Peter Krause - Henry Shull

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0871650576

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    What?! You seem to have a very own definition for EV -- or dynamic range, for that matter. Are you sure you are not speaking about Dmax, a totally different subject? Though, the Dmax is not 3.67, but nearer to 3.5, but I cannot figure out any other number that is even close to your 3.67. For log H, on the other hand, 3.67 is too much for any slide film for any purpose.
    I think Stevie referred to 3.67 EV above middle gray before burning highlights, that is, you measure your highlights (the brightest part of the frame where you would consider a failure if you had no detail) and you open 3.6 stops at the very most. That's consistent with characteristic curves indicating a (total) dynamic between 6 and 7 stops.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing he could mean that would make sense is what Diapositivo said. Stevie Duncan must have been referring to where the loss of texture occurs on either the high or the low side of middle gray (I'm not sure which side he was talking about), but not to the entire dynamic range.

Even so, 3-2/3 stops seems like quite a lot of headroom above middle gray, or below it, with Velvia. I would say that the film (ISO 50 version) "feels" to me like it has perhaps 5-6 stops dynamic range at most. That is an informal judgment, and I may draw the line for the edge of texture in a different spot than others do. But IME, Velvia 50 really is just a stop or so better than Fuji FP100C, which is very narrow-ranged (about 4-5 stops, informally judged by me). Velvia 50 is pretty much the only film I make use of instant prints for, using FP100C. The Fuji instant material gives you a pretty fair idea of how the tones will fall on Velvia 50, though the FP100C is a bit more contrasty.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I will simply report on what I have seen in Kodak's literature. For years, Kodak recommended a scene lighting ratio of 3:1 for transparency work. I beleive that assumes the use of reflectors, lights, strobes, etc., for carefully managed light. I do not know where one would normally find light like that out-of-doors without some serious lighting setup. IIRC, that translates into ~1.6 stops. It probably represents a figure that would allow for just enough shadow to make things interesting without straining transparency film.
    Geo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin