Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,371   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Multi Format

Green cast in photos--RA-4 process

Good morning!!

During the last weekend of May I mixed a batch of RA-4 chemisty in 10L containers. I used a Fujimoto table top processor with exceptional results. When I was finished I drained the chemisty, rinsed the processor, removed and rinsed the rollers.

Last night I filled the processor with some of the chemisty that I had mixed during the last session. Using the same paper that I had gotten terrific results with last time I was shocked to see that all photos I tried to print last night had a severe green cast, even under the border.

Thinking that my "expired" paper may have actually expired I opened another box of paper (different manufacturer) and these results were the same, except instead of a green cast I got an almost black cast.

So has my paper gone "bad", has my chemistry expired or were my cleaning skills not up to par??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mixed chemicals are have a very limited shelf life. You may have found the limit on the blix and the developer may follow suit shortly.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j39/j39.pdf
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How are you storing the mixed chemistry? How are you storing the used chemistry?

Kodak RA/RT dev and blix chemistry will keep for well over six months in air squeezed out 2 liter soda bottles when mixed with distilled water. I use them one shot and mix 2 liters at a time from the concentrates.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format

Even longer

RA/RT will keep even longer and without even that good a storage method. I have been using some I mixed last Nov, and it's still fine. I use a cp-31 fuJimoto. I would suspect contamination perhaps blix migrating into dev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will second the coment s on long lived RA-RT. I too run a CP31. I have a bottle of the low utilization adder for blix that likely helps me store the stuff a long time.

I do filter the blix if it is used, and has sat a long time (like more than 3 months), to make sure it is not sulphuring out before pouring it back into the processor. I store it in a 2L palstic bottle.

The developer I store in a 2.5L glass bottle, and gas blanket it, to keep it from oxidizing.

I do not sure used solution with new solution in the same bottles. If I need to replensih from the last session, I won't do that until I start using the chems again; that way some fresh chems get into the tank every time.

I have had good results re-using RA-RT for periods of over 4 months. The used and replenisher solutions are stored in a 16-20C basement in the dark.

I mix replenisher 1L at a time. I seem to recall with the kit I buy from Kodak I worked out that it is 50mL A, 23.6 ml B, and 50mL C per litre.
    I do repour the B developer component when it first comes to me into a small glass bottle(s) and gas top them as well if they are not tolally full.
    Things last much longer this way than mixing the whole 10L at once.

I too concur with the blix contaminating the developer theory. It does not take much to mess it up.
    I don't pull my racks until after I have drained the processor, and then refill the tanks with water for a rinse, hoping that this keeps the chance of contamination down.
    my real name, imagine that.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format

Even Longer #2

As has been my experience as well as others posted here, RA-4 developer has been known to last years stored full in glass and possibly good plastic bottles. As I posted elsewhere I have some RA-RT stored in glass mixed in early 2008 that is still giving excellent results. I am having similar results with C-41 developer.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have some hypo or ammonia contamination in the color developer, or have some safelight fog (red or amber), you can get green or cyan fog! Cross contamination is a very common event when re-using chemistry in processors. Always clean from the front (developer) to back. Always store in clean containers.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all of your input!! With my schedule I only get a chance to do darkroom work is on the weekends. Just so that I can try and pin point exactly where my problems arose from I will start from scratch. First, I will thoroughly clean everything. Then clean it again. Then try a test. If everything comes out good, then I will know I had a contamination issue.

But if I still have trouble then I will mix another batch of chemistry and start the whole process over. BTW--I am mixing and storing my chemistry in plastic 10l jugs. I had given no thought to possible oxidation issues. I had bought several CASES of RA4 chemistry at prices that were absolutley criminal at a "going out of business" sale. Not to appear wasteful, but since I knew my darkroom time would be minimal and I had an almost excess of chemicals, I have been disposing of my used chemistry after each session. One less thing to worry about. Once I can get a pattern of usage and a viable storage system, with no contamination, then I may look at reusing the chemistry.

Thanks again!!

Randy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin