Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,771   Online: 822

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I like the rice trick.
    It works well with electronics that have gotten wet, too. If you dropped your phone in the water, pack it in uncooked rice to dry it out.

I don't know what a "descant" is in this context (unless I have to find a contratenor and put him in the fridge, but it seems impractical ).
    It depends on your fridge, I suppose. :-) I think the poster meant "desiccant".

I wasn't aware that there was any special risk of fogging with a polyester base. Is it just an issue of light piping? I've used a small amount of 35mm on polyester bases, never treated it specially, and don't remember seeing any problems, but maybe I was just lucky.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have said, put it in a zip lock bag and then into the freezer or refrigerator. If you have high humidity and you do not have a package of desiccant available the put it in the refrigerator.

I store my film in the freezer. If I have opened a film canister or box of sheet film then it goes into a plastic bag and into the refrigerator. Both unexposed and exposed sheet film in the film holders go into individual bags and then into the frigerator.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post

I don't know what a "descant" is in this context (unless I have to find a contratenor and put him in the fridge, but it seems impractical ).
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have put previously opened canisters in the freezer with no ill effects. The amount of air in the canister is so small that it makes no difference.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, that's way too reasonable! Com'on... This is an internet forum! We are SUPPOSED TO obsess over every small detail on doing some simple tasks!

Seriously though, I do what I do (put a desiccant in a bag) with abundance of caution. It may be unnecessary but I have them and it doesn't hurt.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So glad photographers do not suffer from OCD!

Shooter
    35mm
    Desiccant, now I got it! I think I like rice better because it can be regenerated more easily (possibly in the saucepan).

Regarding how paranoid is my worry, well, I read somewhere many years ago, on some Italian photography magazine, that films were to be put in the fridge inside their own canister exactly for the reason that the factory-filled canister do not contain a dangerous level of humidity. And they wrote that canisters are air tight for this specific reason. And in fact, if one thinks about it, no film - however cheap - is sold without a canister (roll film is sold in sealed bags) which makes me think there is some logic in all this waste of plastic.

From what you tell me, it is nonetheless safe to put the film in the fridge inside an already opened, but then well-closed canister, because the air content inside the canister is not enough to make a veil of frost. I am glad to learn that. I do suppose that it would be somehow dangerous, for instance, to put the cartridges in the fridge without canister. I see that it's the amount of air circulating inside the fridge, any time one opens it, that creates the problem. If I insulate the film from the air in the fridge (by using the plastic canisters, or the metal canisters for bulk film) it should be all right.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My typing accent strikes, AGAIN!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get some silica gel desiccants, they are cheap on Ebay, or you get them even if you didn't want to by buying something... They come in the "DO NOT EAT - THROW AWAY" packets. You can reuse them -- just place them in oven at 100 deg.C or more for some time, or some people use even a microwave oven but I haven't tried that. They usually have an indicator color, for example: blue<->transparent or orange<->green for dry<->wet. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ST-CO...ht_3537wt_1166 Keep them in a zip-lock bag, put a few grains in the film canister every time and feel safe! When you run out or if the moisture gets in your desiccant bag, then heat them up to release the moisture and here you go again.

Even though you probably won't have a problem at 60% RH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where I live the RH is usually well above 55% usually around 80% during the summer. I have never had any problem with refrigerating film. I often buy in bulk and freeze the film. When I need a roll I put the canister in my pocket for about an hour. Again no problems. I have placed bulk loaders in zip-lock bags and refrigerated them. I wait 24 hours before opening the bags.

Rice is easily regenerated in a microwave. Be careful it will get very hot so you might try doing this in steps. Wait for the rice to cool before heating it some more.

Be careful with silica gel as the dust it produces is very hard and if any gets into the film cassette it could scratch the film.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-25-2011 at 12:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin